Nodoguro "macdonalds" Menu -- Portland, OR

We’ve got a few seats left for November’s menu. I’m happy to waive corkage if you do the $45 pairings (chosen by me).

For the month of November we are dissecting Japanese fast food at Nodoguro. This menu has blended our slow food philosophy with fast food personality. We chose “Macdonalds” as the symbol for the industrialization and westernization of present day Japanese fast food. However our research wasn’t limited to memorizing the menus of popular Japanese fast food chains, we have also explored the origins of the historical popularity of “Yoshoku” items in Japan and have focused on the role of War and Postwar scarcity in the formation of today’s fast food culture. This was an intriguing and educational menu to work on and I hope you have fun tasting it! Here is our current menu:

Large Cola
Crab, Bread and Butter
Wartime Sashimi
Tofu nuggets with special sauce
Filet o fish
Chocolate Sukiyaki
Coco Ichiban salad
Yoshinoya bowl
Omelet with Rice!
Kit Kat
Hamburger snack
Drive thru Coffee

And here are the parings with my notes:

Champagne Duval Leroy Brut Premier Cru Champagne NV
This blend of mostly Pinot Noir and some Chardonnay has been produced since the early 1900s but only recently released in the US.
Chosen for the great texture and acid to stand up to both the bread and butter course and the sashimi.

Henri Badoux Aigle Les Murailles Grand Vin, Vaud 2012
100% single vineyard Chasselas grape made by the Badoux family since 1908.
Chosen to the match the richness and density of the tofu.

Reichsgraf von Kesselstatt Brauneberger Juffer Riesling Spatlese, Mosel 2008
From a 25 acre stony and clay vineyard cut into a 70% incline hillside above the Mosel.
An aged Riesling with some residual sugar to stand up to the chocolate but with enough acid to brighten the filet o fish.

7 of Hearts Viognier Ice Princess Sweet Wine, Columbia Valley 2013
Made by one of our local wine making legends, whole clusters of Viognier grapes desiccated by freezing.
Try some with the curry but save enough for the rice bowl as strong pineapple notes should emerge.

Lustau Rich Oloroso Vintage Sherry ‘Anada’ 1997
Aged for 13 years in American oak barrels. Only 8,000 bottles produced.
Chosen for the gorgeous dried and candied fruit notes.

Tickets Available at www.nodoguropdx.com

Disclaimer: I didn’t know where to post this or even if I should at all but Offline is where Todd recommended.