The Milling Room, UWS, NYC

SEE RECAP AND UPDATE ON POST # 8.
Our newly formed group is considering the Milling Room on Columbus Ave and West 82nd Street for an upcoming tasting evening and in the next couple of days I expect to meet with the owner, Scott Bryan.

Prior to that I would appreciate a point of view or advice on this location. Please PM or email me direct at mrussell@nyarm.com .

Margie,

PM Brad Kane who just did a wine dinner there this week and loved it. PM Wilfred Van Gorp for possibly a contrary view.

Thank you Paul. I will.

Hi Margie,

A bunch of us went there Tuesday and had a wonderful meal there. Hopefully, Jay Miller will also share his opinion as he was with us.

We told Scott to just put together a four course menu for us and it included the hamachi tartar, cod with shellfish bouillabaisse broth, white bean puree and aioli, crisped sweetbreads with pickled fennel and capers, a duck breast that was not on the menu and a cheese plate. All done nicely, with the cod dish being one of the best things I’ve eaten this year.

I will say it’s a bit of an odd space. Rather large with funny acoustics that they may want to put something up on the walls to help soften.

Here are some pics of the food.
Milling Room- cod.jpg
Milling Room- sweetbreads.jpg
Milling Room- duck breast .jpg

And the Hamachi. I could only add three attachments to the last post.
Milling Room- hamachi.jpg

Thank you Brad. The food looks terrific.

Have they worked out their corkage policy? I am definitely going soon no matter what.

Jay Miller read the instructions and sent a PM.

He had also already posted to the NYC restaurant thread.

[winner.gif] RECAP
Brad Kane "A bunch of us went there Tuesday and had a wonderful meal there. Hopefully, Jay Miller will also share his opinion as he was with us.

We told Scott to just put together a four course menu for us and it included the hamachi tartar, cod with shellfish bouillabaisse broth, white bean puree and aioli, crisped sweetbreads with pickled fennel and capers, a duck breast that was not on the menu and a cheese plate. All done nicely, with the cod dish being one of the best things I’ve eaten this year.

I will say it’s a bit of an odd space. Rather large with funny acoustics that they may want to put something up on the walls to help soften."

Jay Miller "Had a really good meal at The Milling Room, Scott Bryan’s new restaurant on the UWS, last night.

Recommendations - when he came out to talk to the table he mentioned that he’s in the kitchen Tuesday-Saturday so those are probably the best nights to go. Get the Atlantic Codfish with Shellfish Bouillabaisse Broth! Hamachi Tartar (great match with '95 Winston Churchill) and Duck Breast were other highlights. Sweetbreads were quite good but a notch lower than the other courses.

No word on corkage policies yet, my understanding is that they have no current plans to do an Apiary style corkage free Monday.

The room is beautiful but I’m concerned that it might become noisy when full. A Tuesday night two weeks into opening was fine.

I’d say the food was a definite step up from the Apiary days. "

D. Zylberberg "Scott Bryan made a plate of sweetbreads that wasn’t the best in the City? That’s the first time that’s happened in 20 years . . . "

Ethan Abraham “We ate in the bar room here last night. The food was very good. THe front room has a nice quiet ambiance, which they ruined halfway through the meal by turning the TV on. The main room did seem noisy, though it’s a very attractive room. Service in the bar area was laughably bad. However the food is very good, and I’m sure once service issues are ironed out it will be a fantastic restaurant. Besides the cod, we had the octopus and rabbit pasta, both great.”

D. Zylberberg “The Milling Room was nearly empty, which made for a bit of a cavernous, library-like space. Food was typical Scott Bryan though, almost too much so - oh hi salmon dish from Apiary! Long time no see. Still, excellent - my only concern would be whether they can maintain quality when full with all those tables.”

Jay Miller “… go on a night when Scott Bryan is in the kitchen.”
… otherwise a contrary view …

[thankyou.gif]Margie Russell "Thank you all for your comments on the Milling Room. We ate at the bar, had the sweetbreads and the cod and Scott was in the kitchen. Sweetbreads were excellent, but the cod with the bouillabaisse broth and the aioli was a wow moment for me. I found a new/old home since I know the space well having been to every establishment at that location since 1984. CORKAGE FEE $30. http://themillingroom.com/