Seattle - Friday October 3rd

Seattle Berserkers,

As previously threatened, I am going to try pull together another dinner at my place. I really enjoyed connecting with everyone that came out last time and appreciated all of the great bottles. By consensus of the last group, I am going to try a Friday night this time. Although Sept 26th would have been one month, I am not available that night so how about Friday, October 3rd?

There was some discussion last time about Old California, which I am up for. This can mean different things to different people and I am open to whatever that means to you. I don’t have any 70’s right now but have cabs from the 60’s, 80’s, 90’s and 00’s that I could pull from depending on how the lineup looks. If Old California means 2010 for you, please join us anyway. I’d rather get a good group going than be a stickler for theme.

As last time, I’ll host at my place at lower Queen Anne and we’ll chip in for takeout. I thought the pizzas worked really well last time (and they were cheap). I like pizza with California wines and would be up for a repeat. If anyone has a request or suggestion for another cuisine, throw it out. There are a number of solid restaurants nearby and we could try something else.

Old California
Friday, October 3rd
6:30 Start
Lower Queen Anne Apartment
Everyone to chip in for takeout

Please confirm interest in the thread and I’ll provide the address by PM prior to the date.

In
Eric
Peter
Jim

Maybe
Lee

Old California is right in my wheelhouse, but between harvest and my son being due on that exact date, I unfortunately won’t be able to make it. I look forward to seeing what everyone brings!

Would love to join and meet up with some of the local crew but will be in Denver for GABF that weekend.

Sounds fun. Unfortunately, I’ll be out of town but unlike Tom not at GABF. Hopefully I can join the next one.

I can make it. My wife will be out of town. I could try to round up wine loving friends.
Opening old wines is always a roll of the dice, so I’d prefer to have an adequate participation to make sipping, appreciating, and then dumping acceptable procedure.

P Hickner

My schedule is still up in the air. I will be there if I have no conflicts.

Date is okay with me so far, fine if you want to try a different day too.

I have some late 80s and early 90’s. After that is a crap shoot to me, but i’m wiling to try - I think I still have a 97 Arrowood Reserve for example.

Peter, I’m with you on preferring a solid group to open some older bottles. So far I count three (you, me, and Jim) and a possible fourth (Lee). Feel free to round up other that you think might be interested but aren’t on WineBerserkers (is that possible?). I tried to get out ahead of this one so we’ve still got a couple of weeks before we need to call it.

I am also open to other nights or themes if there are a few of us that can come up with a better solution.

We are just about one week out on this one and I count 5 in (including a PM I received from a visiting Berserker) and 1 maybe. I know there were some reservations expressed about the theme with a smaller number of participants given the hit or miss nature of older bottles. I have no problem switching out the theme if the group is still interested in getting together so let’s do an informal poll. If you can still make (or wish I join) just post a preference for keeping the aged California theme or swapping something else. In the interest of kicking off discussion, I’ll throw out a few options I heard mentioned over the last couple of gatherings - Washington, Oregon, or Beajoulais. Also, in light of the cooker weather, maybe CdP. Open to suggestions.

That’s me that Eric refers to as “a visiting Berserker”. I’ll be in Seattle for a couple of days, including Oct.3, and would look forward to meeting up with the local Berserkers should this offline work out.

Ramon, seems like we will have some sort of event even if it’s just pot luck. Eric, you’ll probably just have to make the call on this one. Just let us know a day or 2 ahead so I know which wines to stand up.

I’m pretty deep on Beaujolais and OR pinot. As opposed to northern rhone, I’m not as big on CdP, but have enough VT, Charvin, Pegau to make a contribution - nothing older though. I don’t own any Washington wine, but would certainly be willing to go buy a couple bottles from producers i’ve heard are interesting - Gramercy, Maison Bleue, Analemma come to mind.

I can bring something from any of the categories mentioned, although one Beaujolais at a sitting is usually enough for me. I may still bring an older bottle.

P Hickner

I’m cool with pot luck, as long as I can order in my share of the foods. I’m just looking forward to meeting up with the local crew. Staying in a downtown hotel (Max), so hopefully the venue will be reasonably accessible by cab.

As for the wines, I’ve older French/Italian/Spanish and a lone bottle of a 2001 Napa cab handy. Just let me know what I should be checking in.

Ramon

All,

Let’s do this - as it appears that well have a fairly solid turnout, let’s keep the Old California theme for which we all signed up. For those without something particularly old, just bring the closest thing to theme that you have nearby. The general idea was a chance to open some of the older bottles that don’t really fit a lot of other themes well. However, if we have some things in that in-between age, it might be interesting to have some contrast.

I will send out the address by PM when I get home later today. Ramon, my place is a 20 minute walk, 10 minute cab, or very easy bus ride from where you are staying. No problem there. You could even take the monorail if you want a particularly Seattle experience.

Eric

I will almost certainly be there, it’s just a matter of timing. I hope to be bearing porcinis.

That’s excellent, Lee. We’ll hope to see you then.

Porcinis? You need someone to make pizza for you. I know just the guy who can be ‘brought’ in to do the job. :slight_smile:

Have fun! Eric is a very decent guy and a good host.

Porcini season doesn’t look to hold much longer, Mike – you’d better hurry out here!

Looks like I’ll be bringing a +1 – Melissa is planning on coming.

I should be in Eric… cleared it with the boss!

Great time last night. Thanks to everyone for coming out and bringing some really fun wines. Jim, that Stony Hill was excellent. It slipped my mind when we were naming wines of the night because we were so far into the reds but otherwise was right up there. Ramon, great of you to join us on your short trip out. Also, Lee, the mushrooms were excellent. Many thanks for bringing those.

Theme for next time still somewhat up in the air but Northern Rhone seems a good possibility. Hope to see you all again soon.