Chave Vertical possibly November 20th NYC UPDATED

Following on from the Chave 1995 thread, we are putting together a Chave vertical dinner. Place and final date TBD, but at the moment, we are looking at Thursday November 20th and if possible a 6:30 start.

*UPDATE:
Talked to the chef at Perigord, and they will put together a five course meal but as it will be in the private room, it will have to be a set menu. He is going to try to keep it to $125 PP, but it may be a few dollars more.

We are thinking of the following.

First course
Stuffed Quail

Second Course
Roasted loin of Lamb

Third Course
Duck: sauce tbd

Fourth course
Cheeses

5th course
Grand Marnier Souffle

Group & Dan R. 1978
Mark G 1982
Bob C 1983
Sylvia 1985
Stuart 1986 and 1984 Blanc
John Chapman 1988
Josh K 1989
Omar 1990
Marty 1991
Alex 1994
Greg Del Piaz 1995
Corey Miller 1997
Diane K 2000

I will be going to Le Perigord for lunch on Friday, and will talk to Georges then. I do know the private dining room is available on the 20th, and I am assuming the three course menu + cheese course + a couple of specialties for the table would be acceptable to everybody. Price including corkage would be about $125. http://www.leperigord.com/menu/dinner-menu/

I am also planning to bring a bottle of Champagne.We are now full, and I am starting a wait list. We are adding the 1978 and 1990 to the tasting, which will require a $95 contribution from everyone (see post 15).
I have to say, this looks like an incredible vertical from a number of decades. it should be really fun.

Uhg…these rehashed old threads…I’ followed this here…

I suggest March in the mountains…I’ll bring a rouge and a blanc

2003 Domaine Jean-Louis Chave Hermitage
2001 Domaine Jean-Louis Chave Hermitage
2000 Domaine Jean-Louis Chave Hermitage
1999 Domaine Jean-Louis Chave Hermitage
1998 Domaine Jean-Louis Chave Hermitage
1997 Domaine Jean-Louis Chave Hermitage
1996 Domaine Jean-Louis Chave Hermitage
1994 Domaine Jean-Louis Chave Hermitage
1989 Domaine Jean-Louis Chave Hermitage
1988 Domaine Jean-Louis Chave Hermitage
2000 Domaine Jean-Louis Chave Hermitage Blanc
1997 Domaine Jean-Louis Chave Hermitage Blanc
1996 Domaine Jean-Louis Chave Hermitage Blanc
1994 Domaine Jean-Louis Chave Hermitage Blanc

I’m interested. Could offer the 2001 or 1997.

I would be interested and could bring the 1995 or 2000.

Diane, I will put you down for the 2000 as Greg was first with the 1995.

I’d love to attend and can contribute the 1988 or 1991.

I would like to attend. I could bring a 1994.

I would like to attend as well and can bring 89

Put my choices in for the wines. I think we will limit this to 14 people, so we can all get decent pours.

Restaurant choices?

I will throw Perigord into the mix, as we can get a private room, a la carte menu (including their excellent roast duck- a brilliant match with Chave) and reasonable corkage.

I would love to join. I don’t have any Chave in my fridge at the moment but am happy to buy an interesting one ahead of time or source from a fellow attendee.

No Cuvee Cathelin I take it? :slight_smile:

Love to attend. Eliminating what’s already spoken for I could bring an 1988 or 2010.

[quote=“John Chapman”]Love to attend. Eliminating what’s already spoken for I could bring an 1988 or 2010.[/quote

Given the tasting, I think 1988 makes more sense.

Are you volunteering to bring it?

I’m interested and could bring a 1997.

A couple of people have mentioned that they would like to include the 1990 and 1978.

I talked to Dan about perhaps contributing towards a bottle of 1990, which assuming we are 14 will mean everybody would contribute around $25 (that is after Dan’s contribution.). The 1978 would be another $70 pp.

Based on 14 people,

Option 1 We keep it as is.
Option 2 + Chave 1990 add $25
Option 3 + Chave 1990 and 1978 add $95

Thoughts?

I’d be happy to be part of a step up for those wines if well sourced. Given that we seem to be only 12 so far, there may be another one or two yet to join that would be in the same position with no other vintage to add.

I am ok with whatever the group decides.

This is so good! So jealous!
I could have brought the 99 but I’m living to far from you… [head-bang.gif]

I am fine with what the group decides as well.

As am I