Seattle - Wednesday August 27th

As a follow-up to the successful recent “Revenge of the Seattle Offline”, I’d like to propose we keep the enjoyment going and get a ‘next time’ on the calendar. It may require a bit of trial and error to find a good time and format that works for the greatest number but I’m willing to give it a shot.

For no particular reason at all, how about Wednesday, August 27th? Given the lack of BYO options, I’ll offer to host at my place on Lower Queen Anne. I have glassware and there are a number of solid restaurants within a stone’s throw from which we can source take out. There seemed to be a fair bit of interest/discussion around the table last time about Italian so I’ll propose Nebbiolo as a theme. As an early go at trying to pull a recurring group together, we can keep this one simple with no geographic (other than Italy) or vintage restriction.

There is a very solid wood-fired pizza oven a block and a half away so I am thinking we can kick it off at 6:30 and while we work through the first wines we can have some pizzas cooking for us. Everyone can pitch in for the food, which I’d imagine would be around $20-30 per person, depending on any sides we’d like to order.

Please post below if you can make it. If not, but you’d be interested in coming next time, it would be helpful if you post how the day/time/format works for you or what would work better. That will give me a good idea of what to try differently on the next go.

To sum up:

Wednesday, August 27th - 6:30 start time
Lower Queen Anne apartment
Italian Nebbiolo (any region, any vintage)
Glassware provided
Attendees to pitch in for take out (Wood fired pizzas proposed but we can switch it up the night of by popular vote)

Finally, this is in no way exclusive to those who attended the Revenge offline. I’m very much interested in pulling in others who are interested and can make it. I’ll try to keep track of affirmative responses below and will create a wait list if the interest starts to outgrow my space.

I can make it unless something comes up that I don’t anticipate.

P Hickner

Unfortunately I’ll be leaving town that night for the Labor Day weekend.

My weekends are booked solid through early October and pretty slammed at work so week nights for the foreseeable future will be tough. Hope to catch the next one.

Wish I could make it.

Thanks for the taking the lead on this!

Unfortunately, the Wednesday in question is already booked. If we plan out a good 3-4 weeks ahead of time, I can usually make things happen. Short notice (upcoming 2 weeks) is pretty difficult.

Looks like I can make it, so count me in!

I can’t make it Wednesday but will keep checking in for future tastings. I don’t live in Seattle so weekday tastings will be difficult. It would be nice to get a monthly tasting going; thanks for taking the lead!

This date was a bit less successful than the last go. We are currently at three. Matt and Peter, while that does not give us a chance to open many bottles, I am still happy to get together on Wednesday if you like. Otherwise, we can postpone. Let me know what you prefer.

Looks like I can do this, though we’re still only at 4. My wife was thinking about being a +1, but i’m doubtful on that one.

I won’t be bringing the killer cellared bottle, btw. I have a couple cases of Nebb, but i’m afraid my days of Giacosa Riserva, etc died back when it was affordable - during my NYC days 20 years ago. 8-10 year old Produttori is probably the best I can do…

Let me know if ya’ll decide to move forward.

Four is enough for a good time. That is a solid representation of bottles and I do want to pull this off. I will send the address by PM. Let’s plan for 6:30 Wednesday.

My wife would love to participate. She is a fan of both wood fired pizza and Nebbiolo.

P Hickner

Peter, that’s great. I’m looking forward to this.

I can probably make it, though it will be a tight fit into my schedule.

Lee - it would be great if you can make it, even if a bit late.

I’ll send the address around to everyone tonight by PM.

Hi Eric,

Miss you in NYC! Hope your enjoying yourself

Don’t know how I’ve missed two of these now but would love to connect with some locals one of these days. Have a good time gentleman and ladies.

Best,
Todd

Good to see folks again the other night, and great to meet you Matt.
Eric, thanks a million for hosting and making the multiple food runs!

I didn’t take any notes, but the list of wines follows below.
For me, again very nice, no clunkers. Some of the younger bottles will likely be better in a few years, but nice to check in with now. The Marchesi Cannubi was WOTN for me.

Whites:
2013 Savage Grace Wines Chardonnay Celilo
2001 Collio Goriziano i Clivi Brazan 140 months (Friulano and 15% Malvasia)

Nebbiolo:
2011 Elio Grasso Langhe Nebbiolo Gavarini
2009 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco Riserva Asili
2006 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco
2004 Fattoria San Giuliano Barbaresco
2000 Azienda Vitivinicola Pier Riserva Barbaresco Rio Sordo
1997 Marchesi di Barolo Barolo Cannubi

Agreed, it was great to meet everyone and big thanks to Eric for hosting! Solid lineup, my WOTN was also the Cannubi, but the Collio Goriziano was a bit of a revelation for me and something I am definitely going to explore further in the future if I can get my hands on any. I look forward to the next one!

Just catching up on things after my vacation. This was a great time, can’t wait to do it again. Thanks so much for hosting, Eric. Nice to see everybody again and to meet Matt.