San Francisco - August 26 [Updated]

1. Date/Time: August 26th, Tuesday @ 6:30pm

2. Theme - a bottle that’s over $150 MV or best judgement

3. Location: Canela
    2272 Market St, San Francisco, CA 94114
    $35pp minimum on food; corkage waived champagne.gif
    BYO stemware, decanters, and opener!! BTW, who can bring a Durand or ah-so?

Participants:

1. Cindy
  2. Leonard
  3. Craig
  4. Gary
  5. Joel
  6. Anna
  7. Rich
  8. Craig +1
  9. Ed

Ok, I get it.

Hey, Leonard - a) and b) are 2 different options. I asked us to vote on a) OR b) and not do both a) AND b).

Hope that’s clear. I know Spanish was mentioned in our June meetup. In our last meetup, I suggested that we jazz up our August meetup a little by bringing higher market value wines. Hence, they are the 2 options for us to vote on.

Fellow SFers, let us hear what you want for our next offline.

How about food a) with wine b)?

great choice I would say [cheers.gif]

In for plan b unless my travel plans change otherwise. I can make both dates.

I’m in.

If we go with Spanish - I would like to suggest Alegria’s for the restaurant. http://www.alegriassf.com/

If we go with the high-end option, is a 2000 Bordeaux ready to drink?

Updated

It very much depends on which 2000 Bordeaux; some are ready others far from maturity. Parker reevaluated some of the wines in 2010 and I’m sitting on a large pile of BK2 so I could comment on some of the wines.

I’m surprised that a tapas restaurant is on board for a $150.00 (or market value) per bottle wine tasting but I’m not complaining; I was not at the last tasting. I do not recommend Zarzuela or Esperpento. Another tapas place I had listed was Contigo in Noe Valley at 24th: not open Monday but this from their site: “Paella Tuesday By popular demand we’re featuring a different rice dish every Tuesday, cooked to order. We also offer a special $34 Paella Tuesday Tasting Menu that includes paella and four of the night’s best dishes, all served family style.”

Its is a bit of a effort to get a consensus from these guys neener

I would be OK with also suggesting a slightly more high-end place considering wine paring. I love Spanish food but it does limit the pairing somewhat considering most $150+ wines will be most likely French (Bordeaux, Burgundy or Rhone), although CA cab and Italy might be brought as well. Knowing this French / modern CA cuisine might be more appropriate?

I welcome the differences in opinion when one actually helps out on making the reservation [highfive.gif]

Personally I love to enjoy complex wines with food simply and rustically prepared. And Spanish food falls in that category emphasizing more on the ingredients and less on the technique. Another reason of not choosing French or CA, so we don’t end up with all French or Cali wines at the dinner (which is typically how we do our offline - focus on a particular varietal or region).

Won’t start calling the restaurants until next week. The board is still open…

So looks like we are doing high end?

I started collecting recently so I don’t have anything ready and need to go buy a bottle.

1990 Veuve Clicquot La Grande Dame
1986 Pichon Lanande

These are both wines that I want to try. Does the group have a preference in which one to bring? I have a very heavy travel schedule in August, so I want to go buy it over the next couple days and put it away.

My choice would be the Pichon Lalande. And Cindy thanks for the rationale for tapas & high end wines; makes sense.

My 2000 Bordeaux might be too young. I will bring a Jacques Sellose Initial (disgorged October 2009) . I think.

Ok. Looks like we have another champagne so I will bring the PL.

I haven’t decided what I will bring. Possibilities include high end california cab with age for diversity, 1989 Pichon Lalande for comparison, and/or sauternes.

d’Yquem? :wink: :wink: :wink:

Can I be a tentative? Depending on work travel…I’ll be able to confirm closer to the time.

Leonard - your status is updated.

Calling other SF WBers for this great event. Your summer will never be the same :slight_smile: