SF Pinot Days June 21...Roll call

Who will be going to Pinot Days next Saturday?
The venue has moved from Fort Mason to the more intimate Metreon
and should provide a better 1 on 1 with producers.
Glad I won’t have to deal with the masses and parking of Fort Mason.

I registered as Media then noticed on the website that Trade/Media are not allowed to taste with the public. Ejecting the people who actually write about, buy and sell your wine? Unprecedented and unprofessional. It is easier to work when the room is less full, but if I am not finished, I stay until I am. I was planning to buy a ticket for my roommate and meet her during the public tasting. Will I drive three hours round trip for a two hour tasting and spend $75.00 for somebody to attend a tasting by themselves. No.

Doug,

I’ve noticed this practice at a few other tastings recently…

One of the big challenges in putting these tastings on these days is vetting ‘trade and media’ and determining whether they truly are or not. The ‘challenge’ is becoming greater and greater in all honesty.

That said, I have to believe that if you reached out directly to Lisa or Steve, they’d be cool with you staying…

Cheers!

Doug sorry it doesn’t sound like it is up to your standards and such a long drive for you.
Maybe you should just take a powder. You will be missed.

That rule was in place for New York, and I know they bent it in a couple cases for legit writers who spent a lot of time at each table. I’m sure you’ll be fine if you want to continue working into the public tasting.

That issue with the trade/media tasting is confusing - I saw the notice that Doug mentioned here: Pinot Days: the easy way to wine

But then there is different (and seemingly contradictory) info on this page: Pinot Days: the easy way to wine

Trade Tasting: Noon-5pm. Complimentary.
Public Tasting: 2-5pm. $75.
VIP Tasting - Noon-5pm. $125.

I believe they’ve always allowed trade/media people to stay for the public tasting in SF but not necessarily at their events in other cities. But I wonder whether moving to the smaller Metreon space has prompted a change in their policy for trade/media in SF this year. It’s impossible for me to taste at all the winery tables I’d like to in five hours, but if it really is cut to two hours it’s going to be a real challenge to pick where to taste and where I’ll have to skip. Hope that will not be the case.

Larry, What you say about vetting is understandable and trade access should be controlled. I believe that PD does this very well by requesting the separate credentials for trade attendees. Simply put, a policy that applies to trade and media includes me. There is nothing that makes me worthy of a nod more than any other valid trade individual. I have zero interest in looking for special treatment, yet I know that I can probably visit 25 wineries in two hours. I have not looked at the page Ken Zinns found that seems to contradict what I saw on the trade section. I know Steve and Lisa work their tails off to produce these events and some clarification would be helpful. If it stands, it is a policy that sets precedent to penalize working wine professionals of every stripe.

Doug,
then why don’t you just call them up instead of calling it Unprecedented and Unprofessional in a Public Wine Forum discission…

Joe,

Because it is a public wine forum (and I already did communicate my feelings to the organizers). I didn’t make the rule or cause the confusion. Not clear to me why you care one way or another how I feel about it or value my time.

Joe - I have to agree with Doug on this. This is a public forum and should be open to praise and criticism of any type. I have never agreed that only positive comments should be expressed here, but for whatever reason this topic seems to come up on a far to frequent basis.

you took the post and hijacked the subject. It was to find out who was going to Pinot Days not to complain about the event and how it is run, having to drive from St. Helena(I know people driving 10 hours from Arizona and San Diego to the event) and worrying about your roomate when you are supposed to be the professional going to do your due diligence for your rag. If your really ITB.

According to the website, the trade hours are 12-5. ? Pinot Days: the easy way to wine

Edit: Oops, conflicting info. Pinot Days: the easy way to wine

I’m thinking about attending again this year, as I love the event and volunteered for 4 years until scheduling conflicts caused me to miss the last 3 events. I really like Steve’s and Lisa’s mission with Pinot Days and hope this event is hugely successful.

Well, Sheryl and I are in and looking forward to seeing the new venue.

Pinot Days is a fantastic event and plan to attend. Guessing it is the same space in the Metreon as the W&S Top 100 Tasting? If so, a very nice venue!