Post IPNC 2002 Oregon Pinot Noir Throwdown! Bjornson Vineyard, Eola-Hills July 28th

Board icon Bob Wood’s Another Shitty '07 Oregon Pinot Noir thread spurred the 2007 Day after IPNC throwdown hosted by Jim Anderson. The next year Todd Hamina hosted the 2005 throwdown, and last year Marcus Goodfellow hosted the 2004 throwdown.

We are pleased to announce the 2002 Oregon Pinot Noir Throwdown hosted by John Grochau. Once again it’s the day after IPNC – Monday July 28th at Bjornson Vineyards 3635 Bethel Heights Rd NW, Salem, OR 97304. Bjornson is very close to St. Innocent & Bethel Heights in the Eola Hills.

As in past years the event starts at 1pm. But we ask you to arrive at least 30 minutes beforehand preferably sooner so we have time to prepare for the double blind tasting. Please contribute to the potluck: bread, charcuterie, pre or post tasting wines, and especially water. We will have 6-8 flights of 4-5 wines each. After every other flight we’ll identify the wines tasted, and take a short break. We will finish the formal tasting by ~3:30pm and leave plenty of time to socialize and make plans for 2015!

Previous attendees were given first opportunity to sign up. We’re now opening to the entire board. To sign up we ask that you submit your name using our google doc form along with your available 2002 Oregon Pinot Noirs. Each attendee brings either 2 750’s or a magnum of the same wine. No duplicates are allowed. The tasting is double blind. Only the core team organizing the event knows what the entire slate is. This year it’s Rich Trimpi, myself, and John Grochau.

Here’s the current roster. You can reply to this thread to add your name, but you won’t be added to this list until you’ve completed the google doc submission. Note that google docs will allow more submissions than we can accomodate. Once we get to 34, we’ll add you to the waiting list.

Submit your name & available wines

Steven Miller
Greg Malcolm
Doug Ackerman
Jeff Hoofard
Durstin Selfridge
Mike Passo
Mike Passo +1
Rick Allen
Ron Felthoven
Laurellyn Felthoven
Richard Trimpi
Bob Patricia
John Grochau
John Grochau +1
Andy Steinman
Ken Pahlow
Jeff King
Andrew Rich
Jim Anderson
Todd Hamina
Marcus Goodfellow
Mark Bjornson
Patti Bjornson
Peter Hickner
Harry Kamin
Gaironn Poole
John Osburn
Ian Burch
Bill Jones
Anne Patricia
Boyd Pearson

Waiting List:

Recent changes:

Mark Stevens (dropped out)
Bill Jones (added)
Anne Patricia (added)
Shane Clayton (dropped out)
Del LaBand (dropped out)
Boyd Pearson (added)
Tom & Kate Monroe (last minute dropout)

We’re at 31 as of this evening. To those who haven’t yet filled out the google docs form… only a few more seats remain!

Hi Steve, I couldn’t get the google docs to work the first time for my plus 1. I think it worked this time, can you please confirm that for me?

Also-for anyone coming out to IPNC, I am going to open some old wines at the winery on Thursday afternoon from 12:30-3:30.
Some Pinot Noir and also some older whites as well. It’s a drop by casual affair and I have to be at Stoller by 4:45, so earlier is better!

Both you and Gaironn are both registered. Total count remains at 31.

2 more and we move to the wait-list

31 wines means my ass will be sore again by the end!

Room for 1?
Thanks Del

yes. click on the link in the first post and submit your name and wine(s)

Is there still room for one?

I just reviewed the submitted wines; bottom line; this will be an awesome event. I do expect a handful will drop prior to the event – most likely you can join us. Submit your name & wine(s) using the URL in post 1!

We’re now at 34. I do anticipate a couple of drops, happens every year. If you wish to attend please submit using the URL in post 1. You will be added to the waiting list.

I just edited the first post to include the missing event times. We ask that attendees plan to arrive at noon and no later than 12:30. A few of us will be on hand sooner to set up, anyone that wants to arrive earlier to help with setup is welcomed, as is staying late to help with cleanup.

Feel free to reply here with details on what you plan to share for the potluck : bread, charcuterie, other snacks, waters, pre/post event wines.

Steve

I will bring Smoked Salmon Cheesecake - a recipe that Bob Wood recommended to me, and one he brought to the first two tastings. I will also bring some beer for those sick of wine by the end of this event.

I will bring some cheese and crackers

I can pick-up a case of bottled water, but may not be able to cool it, since traveling from out of town. Any chance there will be ice at the venue?

I’m good for some kind of sandwich with steak/caramelized onions/gruyere cheese. Will also bring some quality bubbles. Any chance for getting a group together for transportation from McMinnville? Mike

I’ll bring charcuterie and bread

I’ll plan to bring water also. Unfortunately can’t carpool, as we are picking wine up the morning of, and my wife will have the car doing her own thing while we do ours. Would gladly accept a ride back if the destination was Heater Allen.