Older Bernard Faurie Hermitage

This is my favorite “under the radar” hermitage producer. These are priced under current release. 3 bottle min please.

12x 1996 Bernard Faurie Hermitage $89-
24x 1997 Bernard Faurie Hermitage $89-
6x 1998 Bernard Faurie Hermitage Magnums $185-
24x 2000 Bernard Faurie Hermitage $85-
24x 2001 Bernard Faurie Hermitage $85-

If you’re interested, shoot me a pm.

Thanks,

Ryan

PM Sent

Which version of the Faurie Hermitage is this?

My understanding is that prior to 2003 Bernard Faurie typically blended his 3 vineyards (Meal, Bessards, Greffieux) to make his straight Hermitage. I have heard of the occasional “Le Meal” designate being bottled prior to 2003, but I have not seen or tasted it.

There are a few cuvees (even before 2003) but they are only identified by lot numbers. The labels are exactly the same. I have the blend (Assembelage) and Greffieux from a couple vintages and I noted on the bottles when I bought them in person in France which was which.

In 2000 the blend is L01211, greffieux is L02007

The lot number is on the glass next to the label. To make matter worse he also made a cuvee that was for that was oaked much more than the ones noted above than I always avoided. I thought it was for export but really do not recall. I have some 2001 (assembelage) and 2003 of I forget which designations if anyone want to check lot #s.

I have one bottle each of 1995 and 1997 Le Meal, purchased at the domaine. The bottle is the same as the assemblage, but with a tiny white piece of printer label with a handwritten “Le Meal”. I wouldn’t be surprised if it has fallen off by now.

I happened to drink a 2003 Faurie Hermitage last night and saw that even with the new labels there was no designation. I wrote in sharpie that it was the Greffieux. Also have the Assembelage and while I did not look I’m sure there are lot #s on there as well.

What a strange way to bottle. All the older stuff does have the lot numbers on the bottles, but I haven’t found a clear way to identify what they are. I opened a magnum of the 98 which was killer though!

I think each of the cuvees has different capsules if I am not mistaken. There is a white capsule and a gold capsule. Not sure if they did that back to the late 90’s or not.

FWIW, all of mine were purchased in France and have the exact same capsule. There are various France tax stamped and non tax stamped (i.e for expert) capsules for pretty much every wine which may be different or have some correlation. My 2003s have gold capsules with tax stamps. It is crazy confusing.

I have of the 97 here in the US-purchased in Oz-lot 242 is the M and 172 is the LG-this is etched on the bottle just past the side of the label. I also have a sticker on the bottle saying M is # 2891 and LG is # 2892