LA restaurant favorites and why

daughter wants to try something new with the family when she comes home for the victory lap (graduating law school). Has been to Bazaar, Spago, a few other places–she is pretty food savvy. What rocks right now in the non-sushi arena?

Bucato in Culver City. Insane pasta and porchetta.

Bucato is stellar for pasta. Same day only reservations are a bit inconvenient when making plans.

Providence was as good as ever last week. Probably my favorite high end restaurant in town. If you go, you have to try the “ugly bunch”.

Maude is the hottest place in town now. Reservations a good 60 days in advance and it took 3 hours of persistent dialing to get reservations for the June “morel mushroom” menu.
image.jpg

went to Bucato last week with Frank Martell, we both thought it was pretty eh. Dick head wine somm too.

Don’t forget about Trois mec

That may be one of the worst plates I have ever seen. Looks like they dropped it.

You have to be lucky enough to get an advance ticket for Trois Mec, AND you can’t bring in any wine.

Bruce

As long as you book within the first twenty minutes of the ticket allocation you’ll be fine!

Don’t forget you can’t bring any wine and the winelist is stupid marked up. $1,100 for 98 Dujac MSD VILLAGE. No desire to try this place unless they fix the corkage/wine gouging policy

Oh my god!! Those are the worst wine prices I have ever seen. You get better deals on Cristal in strip clubs.

and they left the s off “Trois Mecs.” Whether intentional or not, that’s egregious. (I am kidding.). Easy pass for me.

The Dujac is mislabeled, it’s a Clos de la roche.

STILL CRAZY OVERPRICED!!! lol.

Not mislabeled because the Huber Lignier MSD vv is also $1,300. A dick move and doubly so by not allowing corkage and forcing you to pay the 4-8x markup. Only way to to not play the fool is to not go.

Allegedly they did it on purpose so it didn’t sound like “mex” according to some press release.

So only the wine list is egregious.

my friend ordered the 98 clos de la roche at the price. [snort.gif] He is a dumbie.

uhh, the s is silent. Why didn’t they spell Trois “twa?”

Newish:

Orsa & Winston
Maude
N/naka
Trois Mec (count me as another boycotter)
Bestia
Bucato
Factory Kitchen

Oh yes. Nnaka and orsa are both delicious and on the higher end side

I recently ate at Faith & Flower in DTLA and really enjoyed it.

Having dinner at Trois Mec on the 23rd. That winelist photo is really old.

I like The Factory Kitchen a lot. Not high cost; dinner for four last week was $300, including cocktails, corkage x2, tax and tip.

Also going through an Ink. phase.

I think faith and flower isn’t quite sure what it wants to be yet. Some dishes are decent, some not so good. But pricey all the same.