de Buyer Mineral Pan - set deal

8, 10, and 12" pans together for $76 and free shipping at Chef’s Catalog right now:

http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/25200-de-buyer-mineral-fry-pan.aspx#BVRRWidgetID

Pretty decent deal if anyone is interested in these pans.

What is the supposed advantage of these pans over any other steel pans? TIA.

Are other pans able to do this:

Made of 99% iron, the organic Mineral pan is the natural choice of conscientious cooks. With its 2-3mm thickness, this pan performs outstandingly well at high temperatures to quickly seal in vitamins and nutrients.

Alternative to cast iron for steaks? Stove top to oven w no handle or coating issues.

I strongly prefer organic iron over non-organic

How do i justify buying this to my wife when I already have cast iron pans? O_O. I really don’t understand the difference other than the purity of iron in it.

Tell her “Listen woman…I’m a baller! And, as ballers are wont to do, I want to buy new toys!!! Don’t make me get the feather duster!!!”

Make sure you add a couple of [snort.gif] [snort.gif] [snort.gif] in there.

sad truth in life, she is the balla

It’s a lot lighter than cast iron and comes to temp quicker. The shape is also preferred by many chefs. I’m not sophisticated enough to claim the details there.

Would you get the same type of sear as on a cast iron pan?

Yes.

This.

well i bought a set. my wife is gonna hate you all.

The deBuyer pans are well made and relatively inexpensive. It takes awhile to get the seasoning right. The 12 inch is pretty heavy lifting. I have a set of these for higher heat pan frying and use a new set of non-pfoa nonstick pans for low heat egg dishes.

C’mon, it’s $76 for a full set of pans. But, the space may be an issue. And the seasoning has been tricky for me, but it’s getting there. See Gary’s comments. I think it’s more of an “over time” thing than anything. I tried all those flax seed oil steps with limited results. In hindsight, I would just do a light seasoning after using them each time with coconut oil. It seems that this is making more progress than all those involved step. Just never let water sit in it very long and heat it up to completely dry it when done. Then, do a quick light seasoning.

While the 12" is heavy, it’s much more reasonable than cast iron or thick copper.

Other carbon steel (i.e., non-alloy steel) pans? Like the ones sold at restaurant supply houses? Yes (to the extent you believe the BS about vitamins and minerals being “sealed in”).

De Buyer touts the 99% “purity” of the iron. Guess what? Almost all carbon steel is 99% or higher iron.

WTF does “organic” mean when talking about steel?

I’m not trying to compare them to cast iron. I’m simply asking what - if anything - makes the de Buyer ‘Mineral’ pan better than other steel pans?

Because it seems to fit the thread:

How to Season a Carbon Steel Pan: How to Season Pans, Cast Iron, Skillets, & More

Seasoning a Carbon Steel Pan with Flax Seed Oil: Fry Pan Seasoning - YouTube

To the Rt. Hon. Robert, I don’t think they are better or worse than any other steel pan. To me, the pricing was what made them attractive. I like the handle geometry -vs- Lodge cast iron personally. Once seasoned, they are as stickless as any PTFE pan that I have.

As to seasoning, I have done over a dozen for myself and friends. Coconut oil is the only choice, IMO. Three coats correctly yields very good results.

Thanks, Tex.

Re: seasoning, do you use the stove top or oven method? Do you think it matters?

FWIW, Lodge makes pre-seasoned carbon steel pans for those who don’t want to season their own.

I do it on the range top or on the grill outside. If you do it correctly, lots and lots of smoke is produced.