Legislation prohibiting labeling of genetically modified foods.

This borders on the political, but I think is relevant to all who care about the foods they eat.
http://www.credomobilize.com/petitions/tell-congress-don-t-prohibit-gmo-labeling?sp_ref=38945347.4.7463.f.26743.3&source=fb_share_sp

Personally I have absolutely no problem with GM foods. But I do have a problem with laws being passed to prevent me from knowing information about food.

+1 to that.

I do have a problem with GM foods; but even if I didn’t, I cannot believe the arrogance and greed of the legislators who are in aiding in the withholding of the info. This borders on criminal.

“Any politician or scientist who tells you these products are safe is either very stupid or lying. The hazards of these foods are uncertain. In view of our enormous ignorance, the premature application of biotechnology is downright dangerous. - David Suzuki, CC, OBC, Ph.D LLD, Geneticist.”

The article itself is horrible. Does the law prohibit states from passing laws to require disclosure of genetically modified food (a stupid law but probably (maybe?) constitutional) or does it prohibit people from labeling food as genetically modified (NO CHANCE it passes First Amendment scrutiny).

It’s the former, but as you say, “garbled”

It’s the former, but as you say, garbled

Suzuki seems to be given to making alarmist statements without any scientific backing:

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2014/02/04/rob-breakenridge-we-need-a-better-david-suzuki/

The Vermont Legislature just passed a law requiring food makers to label products made with genetically modified foods. It is expected that the Governor will sign the legislation.
The labeling requirement is to go into effect in 2016.
Seems fair to let people know how their food was made.

I wouldn’t even object if the law specified that any GM label also include the information that the near-unanimous scientific consensus is that GM foods are not dangerous. But banning the information itself is a terrible, terrible precedent.

Now this is some real BS by Health Max

Sure is. Very bad idea.

And re GM foods, I am very wary. Modifying genetics is playing with things that have developed over millennia, in ways that have never occurred before (it’s not the same as breeding for ex), for profit. Nobody knows what long-term effects may occur. My guess (and it’s only that) would be that most GM foods are fine, but there may be some real shockers, and who can tell what is safe and what isn’t.

I feel dirty listening to that. That’s the sort of thing that gives the legitimate concerns (such as lack of genetic diversity) a bad name.

Ideally, this can simply be a marketplace issue, where interested parties can shop for products that the producers certify as GMO free.

Kinda like how it worked out with dolphins - one sharp marketing rep got the notion to certify his own product as dolphin safe and the market and its pressures took things from there.

Even if the legislation passes, if enough consumers care, the labels will follow.

They can’t legislate against a producer noting that he/she is using only non-GMO ingredients.

They most likely wouldn’t legislate against producers noting they use only non-GMO ingredients but the USDA could throw up regulatory road blocks to doing so. Take the case of Creekstone Farms Premium Beef. Creekstone wanted to test all it’s beef for mad cow disease at it’s own expense so it could export beef to Japan. The USDA would not certify the tested beef or even sell enough testing kits so Creekstone could perform the tests. It is widely believed that this was due to pressure applied by large meat processors.

The president of the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association told the Washington Post that “If testing is allowed at Creekstone, we think it would become the international standard and the domestic standard, too.”

More here Creekstone Farms Premium Beef - Wikipedia

(Mods: if this is considered too political please delete.)