Lime shortage

This is just killing me. I’ve been to two grocery stores in the past three days (Trader Joe’s and Giant Eagle), both have had ZERO limes in stock.

I’ve made both salsa and salad dressing using juice from concentrate the past two days but neither have been as good as using fresh juice and I can’t add zest. Fresh juice is the only thing that makes a good margarita, my favorite summer cocktail. Any other parts of the country affected by this? Any decent solutions?

Only limes I can find in DFW are in the Asian markets, and the prices are ridiculous.

Costco is even out of them.

There are plenty of limes here but they are all very expensive.

Seeing limes priced here at 89¢ each. That made me do a double take. Highest price a think I’d ever seen.

I’ve got a lime tree. Thinking about another one. :slight_smile:

Diseases, freezes, and drug wars. Compared to good wine the cost is still inconsequential, and I have not seen a shortage locally.
On a slightly more alarming note, see this a another harbinger of the food availability in the future.
We’ve become accustomed to having more of everything delivered to our local market or doorstep whenever we want it.
That is not the tomorrow land of food, unless you want tasteless hot house replicas.
Seasonality and locality will matter once again.

P Hickner

We are now allocating our limes strictly to regular customers.

A singular benefit of SoCal. Neighbor has an endless supply of several varieties.

I was thrown off the lime list at the grocery store for flipping mine.

They probably have them individually numbered. I was banned from LimeBid for complaining about brown spots on my limes when the description didn’t mention them.

Limes are out there but they are very, very expensive. Some stores have decided to drop them rather than charge the high prices.

JD

You’ve got to watch out on there - occasionally you’ll just get a lemon painted green.

There were plenty at the market today but $0.79/each. That didn’t bother me nearly as much as figs – $.99 each!

I understand there is a wine retailer in Berkeley who can get them for you. Someday.

Rudy!!! [swearing.gif] [swearing.gif]

I would guess that the lime distributors and stores know that Cinco de Mayo is right around the corner and thus many many Margaritas will be consumed. Buy lime shares now and sell them on Cuatro de Mayo.

Just got some off the tree and you can smell them from 2 feet away.

Bids?

PM sent!!

Some disease has hit the trees in Mexico, cutting into exports. We do still find them in our local Mexican market.

I wonder what the coming banana shortage will do to those prices?