What's with poached eggs on everything?

First, I love a properly poached egg. And they have always had a place in salade Lyonnaise. I could even come to accept such eggs on pizza, and burgers sometimes. But, lately, it appears as if poached eggs garnish everything: roasted cauliflower, hot dogs, floating on soup.

Someone is going to tell me that all of the above are actually classic uses, and maybe they are. It’s just one of those trends, though, that is getting tiresome–regardless of how much I like poached eggs.

I see fried eggs on a lot of things.

A yolk is the perfect sauce addition.

cause it’s awesome. Like Eric said, yolk is a great addition.

I love runny yolks… still I hope it’s a trend that will die away along with bacon+anything. Most applications of these food trends are so lazy and lacking execution but the restaurants still want us to pay $30 for that “creativity”. Rant off.

Great homemade rendition.

Fresh homemade pasta.
Saute mushrooms and reserve. Maybe a bare hint of fresh thyme or garlic.
Quickly boil fresh pasta. Return mushroom to heat. Toss pasta briefly with the mushrooms.
Plate and top with a hearty dollop of EVOO, a nice shaving of parmesan and a fried egg. S&P of course. Maybe a hint of freshly chopped chive.

The egg gets along quite nicely to the pasta and adds a bit of protein to the dish.

Well timed: Think You Know How To Cook Eggs? Chances Are You're Doing It Wrong : The Salt : NPR

Every food magazine and restaurant menu is teeming with photos and recipes and offerings topped with poached or fried eggs. I eat neither, so it is a trend I would like to have disappear soon. I was just given a dozen home-raised duck eggs…man, those guys are big and rich!

Ditto on the bacon. I like bacon, but it is a heavy flavor, and unless the chef handles it carefully, you get a dish that just tastes like bacon. My favorite to use at home here is Niman Ranch Applewood Smoked Uncured Bacon. It is less salty and more subtle in flavor, which fills the bill for me.

I must be eating at the wrong places because I never see poached eggs on anything but eggs Benedict. I do love poached eggs and made a couple for myself this AM.

My taste buds say yes, but my cholesterol levels object.

So, who gets the final say-so?

I feel a sense of deja vu all over again

Bacon, eggs and chocolate are added to many dishes where we didn’t see them before. Creativity fail in most cases?