flannery burgers

a while back during the special I got the burger sampler pack. I have been working my way through these and had the same issues as others with the meat being ground so course with so much fat, that they are hard to get to hold together.

I did up a pound Sunday night and tried a different way. I spread out the meat on a plate, seasoned it with herbs and salt / peppar, and packed it against the plate into very tight patties. I slid them off the plate onto my frog mats and smoked them in the smoker at 275.

I never turned the burgers and the smoke along with the fat rendering, was an awesome addition.

Those were some tasty burgers.

The trick for me has always been to keep the meat cold. The fat stays sticky and the patties form nicely. Then when you cook them you can get a good medium rare with loads of juices.

Amazing how much they shrink, my wife and I fight for the last morsel when cooking a pound. And were light eaters!

Tom thats more or less why I started smoking them the fat drains and renders and blends the taste.

What?

Robert: LMGTFY - Let Me Google That For You

My best success was two minutes on a hot pan, flip, put in 350 oven for about 5 minutes.

Whatever you do, don’t try the reverse. I had some pretty high flames shooting up when the warm fat hit the hot pan. In retrospect a stupid idea.

Sous vide followed by pan sear was also good.

I cooked outside in a cast iron pan over charcoal. too much grease for indoor cooking

darn country dwellers with your outdoor space…

[soap.gif]

Well played Suzanne. Haven’t seen that since Bob Wood was alive.
[highfive.gif]

http://frogmats.com/

awesome things… I have all sizes and use them every weekend. I do everything but high heat grilling on them. I do seafood, pork shoulders, briskets, fish, you name it…last for years. I have some that are 3 years old now but are getting a little frayed.

as an update I just checked the bbq forum and found out another vendor now has these at almost half the price

google amazen products and look for q mats…they sell them by the roll or foot.

Has anybody used the Burger Builder on their website lately? I wanted to place an order but cant seem to get past the fact the site insists that I make a selection from all 4 possibilities. As an example for 1 pack I just want 4 lbs of 100% Waygu, no additives but it wont let me add this to the cart. Am I doing something wrong?

Robert - call Bryan, he’s there to help!

We use the meat more for sliders. A whole 6-8oz is just too rich for me

Thanks I have called in the past with great results, but I’m in the middle of a 9am-9pm work week and was hoping to get the order in. Apparently I’m the only dolt who can’t figure it out, I’ll send him an email though tonight