Vegetarian in Chicago

I’m visiting a friend in Chicago in a month or so, and I would like to thank him for hosting me by taking him out to dinner. The only problem is, he’s vegetarian. Any recommendations for high end vegetarian places that will be an interesting experience?

Also, any local wine shops that you would recommend to pick up a nice mature bottle <$100 when I’m there?

Thanks in advance!

Here is a link to a chicago food board and it’s thread on the restaurant Grace

They have two tasting menus one of which is vegetarian

HdH or Flick for the wine though both are less bricks & mortar shops but rare & fine wine dealers with good websites.

Just to be clear.

Grace has 2 menus Flora and Fauna.

Flora is based on vegetables and is not vegetarian but can be modified upon request to be vegetarian.

George

Most restaurants are able to accommodate vegetarians with advance notice. Looks like there are several places now with vegetarian tasting menus:

Even TRU will accommodate vegetarians.

HdH is probably a better bet than Flickinger, given your parameters; Flick requires a $100 minimum order.

Agree with posters above that if money is no object, Grace would be the way to go. As mentioned many other places will also put together a vegetarian tasting menu - just a case of calling.

If you were looking more casual (doesn’t look the case) then Green Zebra has been one of the best vegetarian restaurants in town for a while now.

Agree with Green Zebra, but it might be less formal than you are looking for. Alinea will conform their menus for vegetarians as well, but it’s better for pescatarians.

Also, if you are in the neighborhood, you could check out Howard’s on Belmont in Wrigleyvillish for a mature bottle. His prices are not the most competitive and he does not have and on-line inventory, but he always has interesting things squirreled away

A friend of mine and long time vegetarian recently went to Green Zebra and was blown away.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations! They all look great!