What side dishes would you serve with a Pastrami

I am going to serve sliced pastrami made on the sweet side with cranberries and brown sugar. Not traditional but absolutely delicious and am not making sandwiches.
I can’t think of an accompanying veggie, boiled cabbage, potato, swiss chard?
Suggestions please.

What about a savory soufflé?

Emmentaler or Comté with a bit of dry mustard and a few caramelized onion bits. It’s playing on the pastrami sandwich but keeps them separate.

Dark Rye, Sauerkraut, Swiss and Thousand Island dressing should just about handle it.

Madeira!

That is interesting, I might give it a go BUT I want a side dish suggestions if you please.

Miso-Creamed Kale

Makes 4 servings

3 to 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (divided)
1 large shallot, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 bunch lacinato kale, stems removed, roughly chopped
1/2 cup shimeji mushrooms with stems, or shiitake mushroom tops
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/4 cup dry vermouth
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup white miso paste

Place 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large, heavy-bottomed pan over medium heat. When melted, add the shallot, garlic and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook over low heat without letting the garlic and shallots color, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the kale and continue to cook for a few more minutes until wilted.

Meanwhile, in a small pan set over medium-high heat, melt the remaining tablespoon of butter. Add the mushrooms and cook until softened and cooked through, about 5 minutes. If the mushrooms become too dry, add the rest of the butter. Stir in the soy sauce, cook another minute and turn off the heat.

Once the kale is wilted and soft, increase the heat to medium high, add the vermouth and cook until it’s just evaporated, about 1 minute. Add the cream and miso, stirring until completely incorporated. Reduce heat to medium and cook about 2 more minutes until the sauce reduces slightly and tightens up the around the kale. Taste for seasoning (but don’t forget the mushrooms have soy sauce). Place the kale on a warm platter and scatter the mushrooms over the top. Serve immediately.

— Trent Pierce, Wafu, Portland

Jalapeño Corn Bread.

Latkes. Tsimis. Vegetable tagine with cous cous

Kasha varnishes.

Serving “varnishes” to polish off pastrami on the platter can be really risky.

I don’t think anything goes better with pastrami than coleslaw or some type of vinegary cabbage salad. You could throw a varnish or two in the dressing, as long as there is no stain involved, too.

^ This.

+1 and pickles half sour please

I’m a full sour pickle man, Suzanne…need that sour to cut through the fat and salt in the meat.

More Pastrami?

^^ This

sauerkraut with caramelized onions and some potato fritters.

i don’t know who is a bigger bone head. Me, for not noticing that autocorrect changes the spelling of Varnishkes or you for not figuring it out. neener

Since I have not done these in years I might just do that.

I would strongly recommend Cauliflower in a cheese roux sauce. Roux sauce is the perfect accompaniment to corned beef, so I imagine it will work for Pastrami too. Creamy mashed potatoes come to mind too.

OMG. Next he’ll tell you to serve in on Wonderbread with mayonnaise.