Small Bites for a Large Group

When it comes to cooking for large groups I usually do a big pot of soup or smoke a chunk of meat – but neither of those options work for an event I will be hosing in a few weeks. We are looking for appetizer type bites – which can preferably be done the night before or quickly the day of – but I haven’t had any great ideas yet.

What Would A Berserker Do? [berserker.gif]

smoke a big chunk of meat and cut it real small-like

Gougeres
Stuffed dates

Gougeres
Charcouterie
Popcorn
Homemade hummus

Totino’s Pizza Rolls?

prep ahead. Cut prosciutto into decent size pieces. Fill with grated parm and tie up with blanched chive. When you’re ready you can heat these in a pan with butter. Delicious.

There are always the meatballs and little wienies in the crock pot plus a 1000 tooth picks.

The only other thing I can offer is English Muffin Pizzas. We usually make 30 and freeze them for late night meals, lunch or snacks. Fairly simple. Brown hamburger with Italian seasoning. Spread Cheese Whiz on each English muffin half, add the hamburger, cover with pizza sauce, add a little more oregano if you want and top with shredded Mozzarella. Cook in oven at 375 until the Mozzarella melts, (12 to 15 minutes). Simple, tasty and filling. You can replace the hamburger with anything you want.

There are plenty of good tapas recipe books that will give you simple dishes with minimum prep and ingredients. Some of the classic easy dishes are pan con tomate, chorizo al vino, queso frito, etc…Type tapas on the foodnetwork recipe guide and cook away.

Thanks! This gives me plenty to work with…

Chris - come on out and I’ll make sure pizza rolls are on the menu! [drinkers.gif]

Hummus is my go-to app. Any kind of dip is a great idea. Last time I did dips, I did a black bean and goat cheese dip (a Martha Stewart recipe), and I did a lentil coconut dahl that I used as a dip. Also, any kind of Bruschetta/crostini kind of thing- lots of options for toppings. One simple thing I do is get endive and use them as a vehicle for things like cheeses, etc. I do one with gorgonzola, pear (or apple), pecans (or walnuts), and bacon. Everyone raves over it. You can do many variations, or just smear a simple soft cheese on them.

Get some of the thicker Italian style breadsticks, wrap with a piece of thin sliced bacon, sprinkle with brown sugar, and bake on a rack. These are great served at room temp.

There was a recipe I used recently for deviled eggs - required brining the cooked eggs in tea overnight. Served with bacon on top. Was excellent with champagne.

Bruschetta bar.

I’ve made this salami crisps with sour cream & basil appetizer for a few parties–easy to make the crisps beforehand and then top at the last minute. Good with Champagne/sparkling wine:

Bruce

Ah, deviled eggs. How could I have forgotten them? One of my standbys. Also creamed morels on toast.

This.

In a similar vein, I’m fond of making a variety of spreads for people to slather on a crostini round. I prefer making my own crostini to puchasing crackers.

Try this to really wow them:

http://instagram.com/p/mTMAe5m2Kb/