Need Advice: Restaurants in Paris

I’ll be heading with my wife to Paris for our first wedding anniversary in May 2014. There for about a week. We’ve both been but never together and not in a while. We’re both foodies but can’t do seriously expensive, and she’s preggers and can’t drink.

any recommendations for off-the-beaten-path restaurants, good foodie values, romantic spots, and inventive gastronomie?

Thanks!
Noah

Have not been since 2011 but had a terrific meal at Le Chateaubriand (the one on Parmentier) that was very reasonable. I think it was around 60 euro. I checked it out because, in an Anthony Bourdain episode, Eric Ripert had a fish course there that he
said he wished he had created.

Off the beaten path: La Table d’Eugene in the 18th. Creative and inexpensive (for Paris).

What is your budget per meal and what kind of food do you like (or not like if the list is shorter) ?

Alain

Well, can do one or two splurges (not quite at Tour D’Argent level, but 1-2 Michelin star maybe). Other than that, maybe the equivalent of <$150 for two people?

Both my wife and I are extremely adventurous eaters, afraid of no spice or ethnic cuisine, and we have a tendency to sample widely. Given that she’s pregnant, sushi or rare fish is considered a no go, as are steakhouses, as rare meat (which she loves) is supposedly out as well…

As has been mentioned in other Paris threads, check out parisbymouth.com.

I’ll also be there for 3 nights in May. I’m dining at Spring and Septime. Both are difficult reservations. Septime just picked up a Michelin star. Spring only serves a prix fixe menu so that might be tough for your wife. I’m still undecided on Semilla or Verre Vole on Sunday.

Good value for luxe Paris dinner? Good value for luxe Paris dinner? - Travel, Wine Tourism, and Restaurants Forum - WineBerserkers

Paris recommendations - 3/4th Arrondisements: Paris recommendations - 3/4th Arrondissements - Travel, Wine Tourism, and Restaurants Forum - WineBerserkers

Any good Bistros & Wine Bars in Paris?: Any good Bistro's & Wine Bars in Paris? - Travel, Wine Tourism, and Restaurants Forum - WineBerserkers

Really enjoyed Bistro Chez l’ami Jean near the Eiffel Tower. Also walked in at the Wine Bar at Frenchie, that was one of the better meals of the trip, and decently priced.

Les Papilles near the Pantheon was very good and a lot of fun.
le cinq Mars is great
Mon Viel Ami was very good too.

Of the three Les Papilles is the best value, None are crazy expensive though.

Well, I’m really afraid when I see the restaurants quoted above (“for tourists” or “just bad” can be used to describe them…)
So, just to be nice, I will give you the name of two restaurants who are really good, inventive and not too expensive :

1. Yam’tcha
  2. Restaurant David Toutain
    But one advice : book a table as soon as you can (the waiting list ranges from 1 to 2 months)

Mike Donovan. Making friends on WB since May 21, 2012. :wink:

Hello Scott,
I hope I didn’t hurt your feelings because when I said above, I meant all the posts above and not just your post newhere

We really enjoyed Goust – intimate dining room, great waitstaff, very good food. Staff pairs the courses with wines and serves the wines blind. We had a lot of fun with the dinner and tasting.

This place is amazing.

Yam’tcha was our second choice if we couldn’t get into Septime. A friend has been friends with the owners long before they opened Septime so he was able to get us in without us having to go through the usual reservation scenario.

Just out of curiousity, which of the above restaurants fit your descriptions above? I won’t be offended if it’s one of the places I’m eating. Hell, I don’t own either one. [wink.gif]

Larry - we just returned from a long weekend in Paris and dined Sunday night at Semilla. We enjoyed our meal very much, and especially appreciated the gorgeous and plentiful vegetables which accompanied the dishes - something I find lacking in most restaurants in France, despite their profusion in French markets.

Enjoy your trip.

I agree with Sarah; Semilla is a great Sunday night option and infinitely better than is older sibling, Fish.