San Diego help

Visiting my daughter at the end of March, staying in Coronado. Looking to take her to one nice meal- would like something in the Cali cuisine category. I am not sure what that means!!

Also she loves sushi- suggestions?

Great burger- suggestions?

And last- Mexican- suggestions?

Looking to stay pretty close to this area or downtown.

Thanks! [cheers.gif]

Big +1 on Sushi Ota and Quatros Milpas. Those were my first thoughts. Neither are fancy though for “one nice meal.” (Ota is between a 7-11 and Planned Parenthood in a strip mall next to some car dealerships… but nice inside.) I second not going to Old Town. If I remember, Charlie had a downtown sushi place he thought rivaled Ota in another thread about eating in San Diego.

Nobu has a nice location for Japanese/sushi in the Hard Rock Hotel downtown. It’s upscale and the food is good but it is just like the rest of the chain, so not particularly unique if you’ve been to another Nobu.

Ota could be fancy for a one nice meal if you do omakase at the sushi bar.

Here are the other two sushi places I recommend.
Shirahama Sushi (must make reservations in advance for sushi bar) http://www.yelp.com/biz/sushi-dokoro-shirahama-san-diego
http://www.yelp.com/biz/kaito-sushi-encinitas

Both are not cheap if you go omakase.

TOTALLY GO TO SUPER COCINA. Place is awesome. You can ask to taste anything thy have on display.

Is Candelas in the Gas Lamp District still open? AMAZING Mexican Haute Cuisine (NOT tacos and burritos).

Thanks for the reco’s- Ota looks like it will be one dinner. Not Omakase though, I do not think my daughter would appreciate, but maybe. Any idea what it might $$$.

$80-100 a person for omakase. Otherwise ordering off the menu is typical sushi pricing.

One nice meal. Check out places in la jolla for Cali cuisine.

Nine ten
George’s modern.

Or in dt San Diego you have
Searsucker

If you are staying in Coronado on a Sunday, the Brunch at the Hotel Del is pretty awesome. Not cheap but worth it.

Their web site says it is, and in fact shows a restaurant in Coronado. Been about 10 years since we went to the one in Gas Lamp. I remember it being good, but not blown away.

What about Oscars Mexican Seafood?? Good seafood taco?

Or just go out on the deck, get a burger and a beer (or Bloody Mary) and watch the waves roll in on the beach :slight_smile:

Oscar’s is very solid for fish and shrimp tacos; it will be slammed.

But, my favorite fish taco (grilled, not Baja style) is at South Beach in OB.

I’m curious about the “great burger” question myself. I can’t think of any really good burger joints in San Diego.

In and Out! just kidding…Prep Kitchen has a decent burger that I like but I always feel homemade burgers are just better.

I have never had an In and Out. Have read much about it here. Will give it a whirl. Isn’t there some secret to ordering ?

neighborhood in DT san diego has a pretty damn good burger too.

No secret to ordering, but if you want to see off menu combos you can easily google it. I doubt you’d be blown away by in n out

This^. Neighborhood has good burgers and a very good beer list, with rotating handles. Home | Neighborhood, San Diego

You might as well try an InO just to get it off your list. Lots of people swear by it, for me it’s a run-of-the-mill fast food burger, though done pretty well. There was another thread a year ago on fast food burgers, check that out.

One of the quintessential Mexican taco stands is Robertos, in particular the Ocean Beach location. You can do a lot worse than a Carne Asada burrito (with guac), and three rolled tacos with guac. Pretty sure I’ve eaten about 300 orders of those :wink: Not that it’s spectacular Mexican food, just a bit of a legend in the area. I wouldn’t go out of my way to make the stop.

Also if anyone tells you to go to El Indio for Mexican food in san diego, ignore their food advice for the rest of your life.