Searzall

Anyone have an opinion?
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1708738346/the-searzall

Looks like a must have if you sous vide.

I backed this project the moment I found out about it. As with all KS projects, there are many obstacles before this might become a viable product, but having followed Dave Arnold for several years, I have confidence in his intent. My biggest concern is whether his design will meet safety standards for the required regulatory certifications.

This would be a great tool for any kind of cooking that requires high heat on a food surface for both caramelization and Maillard reactions. Rather than the heat being created directly on the food surface by the combustion of propane or butane gas, infrared radiation is created by the combustion which is then directed in a controlled and much tastier way (see Dave’s description on the project’s home page regarding “torch taste”.)

I received my Searzall today!!! Seems very well-built. Hope it holds up to heavy use. Tried it out today to char some fresh chiles and toast some dry ones. Worked brilliantly. SV steaks tomorrow.

My understanding is that, once backers all receive their Searzalls, Amazon will put the excess inventory up for sale. In fact Amazon jumped the gun and had to pull the listing and cancel all orders.

I use mine about 4-5 times a year. here are some oysters and turkey from thanksgiving.

the oysters Rockefeller:

The turkey breast sous vide and the thigh confit:

and a link to a video in case the below doesn’t play
[video]https://instagram.com/p/-kVTafqfoQ/[/video]

Quite an overrated device imo. Good for gentle heating (think getting a nice gentle heat on some cheese or something), but awful at searing sous vide meat, which was the primary reason for the purpose. Basically have to press the thing against the food if you don’t want to spend three minutes per side, and then you risk really uneven browning. Not a fan really.

evaporative cooling of water is a bitch.

have you tried drying the food first? you can pat dry with a paper towel or use a hair dryer on cool.