Next at Next

Next year’s menus:

• Chicago Steakhouse
  • Chinese - Modern
  • Trio (replay of the Tour de Force menu at Trio, Achatz’s previous restaurant)

Urp

sounds interesting enough to probably re-up the season tickets.

“Due to cost of aged beef pricing on the steakhouse menu is going to be higher than previous menus”… Individual Bocuse tickets are $225 for food. I wonder if they are going to go higher than that?

George

And I wonder how much steak will hit the plate

It’s a tricky concept that way. The more they innovate - “it’s tofu that tastes like steak!” - the less happy people will be.

let me know how chinese-modern is! Wolfgang puck has a restaurant in DTLA that does chinese-modern and it’s pretty tasty but doesn’t seem to be super popular.

I think they mean steakhpuse will be a little more than regular menus but less than Bocusse/el Bulli. I suspect the Trio menu will be the higher priced one. FWIW Bocusse was my least favorite menu do far.

I thought Bocuse started strong but the last savory courses were my least favorite.

So… who is first up to attend Next Steakhouse?

Not me. I am out. I have been to 6 Next menus. The cost has become too high for the food quality (or lack there of) and the wine program is abysmal Too many great places in Chicago. Will certainly watch the menus as the Trio menu might be interesting but as Next is in about the same price range as Alinea, Grace, 16, Acadia, Elizabeth, Spiaggia etc there are lots of options. I would note that tickets to this menu see much easier to get. There are currently 30 days with available tickets between now and the end of February. In the past they sold out almost instantly. There are 3 tables on Facebook right now for tonight that have been available since early Friday morning. Interesting… [shock.gif]

George

I’m still in, but you are right about the pricing. It’s kind of soared out of the realm of reason, particularly with the wine pairings for a weak program.

I don’t have “steak” until April

Have not been on the Next FB page in quite a while and it seems that the crowd has moved on. Way fewer “likes” , less banter over the daily release of tables & way more tables offered by folks looking to get out of reservations.

Happens to every restaurant. Owners need to have vision.

I think it would be hard to argue that Achatz and Kokonos don’t have vision. I just think they bought in to the hype a little too much and it is dying off. They need to evaluate their price points and certainly do something about the wine program… can I get a wine list please?? or let my BYOB.

George

I agree with George. Next has become a victim of the David Chang mentality (forgive me, Chang fans)–YOU bend to MY rules. Customer service is flipped on its head. You buy tickets–if you can’t make it, you’re stuck. No food substitutions. The diners are expected to pay homage to the Chef and program–both in spirit and in wallet.

Thanks but way too many other dining options in town for that.

I wonder what percentage of diners are from out of town now?

John, apparently not enough. [snort.gif]

NICE!!!

Kokonas just posted a thread on FB about Next having a wine list or something. WVG maybe you can see it. I have asked for clarification…

George

They’ve expanded the private dining in the basement for larger groups. I have a voice in my head telling me that’s what he’s alluding to. He stopped by my table last I was there to talk to Christopher Klingenstein (not me) and that room was the topic. Don’t quote me on that as fact - but it rings a bell.

They let you back in after your review of the Paris 1906 experience?

Plus, is this the “room” to which you are referring?