Has anyone been to Bern's in Tampa?

I’ve never been, but would love to if I’m ever in the area. Has anyone ever been? If so, how was your experience? Thanks!

Lots of info here:

http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/search.php?keywords=bern's+tampa&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

great wines, food meh.
You go to Berns for a mature wine experience.

First-time visit to Bern’s - recommendations?: First-time visit to Bern's - recommendations? - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

Bern’s Advice Needed: Bern's Advice Needed - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

Unreal wine but agree that food was meh!

There are other threads on this, and the appropriate summation has been given: good but not exciting food, AMAZING wine experience. I recommend getting a bottle or two of inexpensive stuff from the '80s (cru Beajolais or Cahors or something) and then getting some more “serious” wine. With the pricing, selection, provenance, and wine service, it’s well worth spending some serious money there, whatever that means to you.

I go every year and the food is good. Admittedly we never get the steak but still we have a fine meal.

We have 2 dinners coming up in Nov and Dec. The food can be good to vg if you have a good waiter giving guidance. The list has been hammered hard and it’s not what it was a few years ago but still a great wine experience especially if you plan a wine focused event with a lot of cash.

This

Is it still worth the trip? I was thinking of a first visit over spring break.

Yes. it’s still worth the trip (I started hammering this list in the late 70s when we could get good deals on '34 burgs and bords). And shush about this place of which we do not speak in public

Don’t be afraid to ask about half bottles.

I thought I was the only one who hadn’t been.

I’ve dined here any number of times and have found the steaks to be uniformly excellent. That being said, we have always ordered larger steaks (for three or more) which are much easier to cook to a rare temperature and still have a good crust. If possible, I would recommend sharing large steaks as opposed to ordering on one’s own.

I went to Bern’s last Friday with five others and had what was only described as one long spectacular time. I will say the food is not the star of the meal, but the steak was really good…the creamed corn was good, the mac and cheese was horrific. The duck confit was pretty good as was the Caesar salad. The tuna tartare was pretty good as well…i though the beef tartare was a little too raw hamburgeresque.

we do this with Delmonico cut to share for the table and it works out great. Going next Thursday night with a board member and his wife who will be in town.

This.

If anyone is in town this Thursday have 2 spots open with a fellow WBer who will be here on vacation. 7pm res time if you happen to be in town or any local Tampa folks.

Got one spot open if anyone is in town tomorrow night. Meeting a few board members for dinner who are in Tampa this week.