Prague restaurants

current thread is a bit old–going in October–where to eat, what to do?

Kolcovna for great beer and pub food.

Prague is one of my favorite cities, and the food is among the worst I ever had. And it’s still one of my very favorite places.

Walk around, see the castle, the Jewish quarter, look at antique shops for Art Nouveau pieces (it was the second capital of Art Nouveau after Paris), beer, walk around some more, did I say beer already?

The architecture is just gorgeous. If you ask for something light to eat, they bring you fried cheese.

The restaurant in the Mandarin Oriental is very good. We also ate at a restaurant on the waterfront but after the flood I doubt it’s still there - Kampa Park.

Alan - I don’t know where Barry ate, but I was there in 2011 and had good food all around with great meals at the following:

V. Zatisi - nice wine list, drank several N. Rhones

Bellevue - also with a good wine list

Terasa at the Golden Well hotel - I did not eat here, but trusted colleague did and highly recommended it. I believe it has outdoor seating on the roof with a great view of Prague.

It is a beautiful city, have fun!

Lokal U Bilé kuželky was really good for pub grub and beer. Touristy location, but all locals. Klásterni Pivovar up at the monastery has Czech takes on German styles of beer served with good hearty food.

Did you have any beer?

One of my favorite cities but my food reccos are too old (and the places other than the Belllevue and the Kampa Park (which was better for location (on the river near the Charles Bridge) than food) weren’t that good). Where are you staying?

Yes, I had beer.

Although original post was from 2013, since there have been several recent replies, I thought I would add my 2 cents. Things to do: Mucha Museum (particularly if you like art nouveau and/or vintage posters), Museum of Decorative Arts, A boat ride on the Danube, the Main Square (not Wenceslas Square) particularly at night when lit. The Art Nouveau architecture along Wenceslas Square, although the Square itself was pretty run down. Food: nothing that I found memorable enough to remember from 4 years ago, although I did have 1 fine meal, 1 good meal and 1 meal at a restaurant that was out of almost everything.

I’ll add the Jewish museum trail, a walk across Charles bridge in the evening, and enjoying the view from castle hill or petrin hill on a sunny day/sunset.

I may be mistaken, but isn’t Castle Hill in Budapest?

We did Budapest prior so got a bit tired of that fried pork knuckle type of cuisine after a while.

2 very different options and our favorites of the trip ended up being Sansho (like Momofuku Ssam in NYC) and Zdenek’s Oyster Bar. The food was superb at Zdenek’s. We got the Pan Roast Royal (min for 2) and substituted mussels with razor clams. If you like shellfish, this is the place to go. Wine list was also very well thought out and interesting. Check out the tripadvisor pictures.

There is also a Castle Hill in Budapest, Buda Castle, which is the one I was thinking about, but thanks for the info.