Need Portland restaurant

daughter asked for a fun/hip/fair-priced Portland restaurant, wine not as important as the food. One night, end of June. TIA.
alan

Pok Pok

wow! Fast response and it looks great, so thanks.
alan

We love Andina in the Pearl.
Personally I thought Pok Pok was okay.

Of course Paleys Place is great.

Love Pok Pok but the wait is tremendous. Had a very lovely but slightly overpriced dinner recently at Paley’s. It is in a house and is very romantic but not necessarily hip cutting edge. Loved our dinner at Little Bird over Christmas (by the way WB Andy Steinman is an owner). Downtown, has many reasonable options (including the burger of my year) and very fun. Mike

Pok Pok is wonderful. Food can be / is very spicy, and not wine friendly, IMO. Drink beer or put the talented bartenders to work.

Limited Portland experience, but really enjoyed Paley’s Place.

Andrew

Tell her to get the wings, not wine friendly at all its true. Great flavor.

Alan,
Where are you staying?

at home. Daughter is going to Portland.
alan

Pok Pok is great and would be fun but I still have a soft spot for Podnah’s http://podnahspit.com Great beers and decent wine IIRC.

Jason

There are many choices that fit your requirements: Andina, Bar Avignon, Cafe Mingo (outside), Cocotte, Laurelhurst Market, and Little Bird. Any of these better thanPok Pok IMO.

Pok Pok is really good, but the wait times are really long. If you catch it on a slow night it’s not bad, but if it’s crowded, you’ll find yourself waiting forever with a bunch of tourists.

+1 on Bar Avignon.

Had a fabulous meal last year at Park Kitchen. Vibe, wait staff and food was excellent.

Le Pigeon. Pok Pok is great though…

We had some very good meals while in Portland- Laurelhurst Market and Park Kitchen among my favorites. Loved Beast but I wouldn’t categorize it as ‘fair-priced’. Solid lunch at Pok Pok, food was good and no wait.

Ned Ludd. Extremely Portlandy.

daughter got a reservation there and is quite excited! Thanks for all the recs!
alan

Lots of good things there. The flatbread is sort of a must-have appetizer; it is very light and tasty.

all the above recommendations are good or great.

For a true, hip Portland experience send them to Racion. New joint in a great location with killer food and local phenom chef Tony Cafiero in top form. Great spot.

Go to Pok Pok for lunch then Racion for dinner. Done. As good a 1-2 punch as there is in the country for the money.

best,

Doug