Des Moines restaurant recos

I will be in Des Moines pretty consistently for the next 6-8 weeks. Looking for some good places to eat, all food types welcome. I am willing to drive, but prefer closer places. I will be staying in West Des Moines.

Just came from there Matt. Here are some local fav’s with fairly decent wine lists:

Alba Restaurant
524 E 6th St, Des Moines
(515) 244-0261 ‎

Baru 66
6587 University Ave
(515) 277-6627
http://www.baru66.com

Centro
1003 Locust Street
Des Moines,
(515) 248-1780

My daughter attends Drake. So I get to Des Moines on occasion.

Agree with Alba and Centro. Would also add Lucca and Proof. Have not been to Baru 66. Django is pretty good for Des Moines and has a zero corkage BYO policy.

On University, about 5-10 blocks east of Drake (I’m just guessing), there is a food truck on the north side of the street that serves up great tacos.

If you need a decent breakfast, try the Drake Diner. It’s near Drake.

Thank you for all the help! Unfortunately, like the last time I asked for recommendations (Geneva/St. Charles), I have to work 3rd shift so I won’t be able to enjoy better wine programs.

How about Iowa Beef Steakhouse? I 1st heard of this place from the Sterns’ Road Food book. Back in the 1990s I had to drive between Colorado & Michigan a number of times. I would time departures so that supper time was in Des Moines. I thought it was great at the time…

If you are in west Des Moines then try to get to Flying Mango.
Good BBQ, Caribbean style food but a small place so make a res. or go during the week.

Des Moines? Des Moines!?!

uhhhhh … Pizza Hut?

Brian Brian Brian. Maybe once upon a time.

Matt, I don’t know where you are staying. But in Clive (I-235 and I-35/80) there is a very good place I forgot to mention earlier. Mandarin Grill for Chinese and for sushi. Off of University west of the beltline. In a strip mall. They have a website.

This one is my favorite restaurant in town.
Also 801 Chophouse is a pretty good steakhouse.
We have discovered that many of the best places to dine in Des Moines are the private clubs.

Going to Baru tomorrow.

Was supposed to go to Alba Restaurant last night, but my group bailed.

Thank you Brad and T Bone!

We just had a wonderful dinner at Alba. Food, service and ambience were all great. We had sweetbreads, soft shell crab, pork cheeks, Korean braised beef and ginger panna cotta,all of which were delicious. A Coup de Grace was also very well prepared.

It’s good enough that it would generate some positive buzz in Manhattan or Brooklyn, to encounter it in Des Moines is eye opening.