Help - need pork belly recipe

Had some great pork belly w apple butter the other night, so now I want to make some. Picked up a nice piece yesterday. Any recommended recipes? Many thanks!

Dry cure. Smoke. Bacon.

I have a 9lb belly and I am going to make this recipe for porchetta All-Belly Porchetta Recipe

Here are a bunch of other pork belly recipes http://www.seriouseats.com/cgi-bin/mte/mt-search.cgi?__mode=gsearch&blog_id=31&site=All&search=pork+belly

One of my favorite first courses is to sear a piece of pork belly then braise in aromatic vegetables, cider, coffee, and stock for about 2.5 hours, then cut into roughly 2+" cubes, reduce liquid to a glaze, tweaking for flavor, then serve with a large seared scallop and some bitter greens

Thanks everyone - tried one yesterday and it turned out great. Salt and pepper the pork belly then braised for 8 hours at 250 in a bath of apple cider, chinese five spice, allspice, fennel seed, aniseed, Dijon mustard, salt, pepper. Then topped with a glaze of the braising liquid, brown sugar and butter and crisped in oven at 400 for 15 min. Just amazing.

Picture posted under the Food Pictures thread.

Insane pic!

Looks delicious. Wish I had a plate of that right now!

I know this ship has sailed, but just for the sake of the future pork belly recipe searches, the Gramercy Tavern recipe that he put into “Think Like A Chef,” was about as good as you could want.

http://www.chow.com/recipes/10762-braised-fresh-bacon

This part of the recipe is puzzling:

Salt and pepper the pork, and add it, > fat side down> , to the skillet. Cook until the > skin is browned> , about 15 minutes, then transfer the pork to a plate.

Robert. As I read it, skin side and fat side are the same side. 15 min fat side down is gonna brown the skin and render some fat in which you’ll then soften some veggies before you reintroduce the pork and braise the whole thing.
What’s puzzling?

The fat and skin side would be the same. The recipe is weird though because you discard the skin. Because its discarded I am not sure what the advantage of the skin is.

bump!

I got a ~5lb bone in belly. 6 hour smoke on the BGE @ 225-240. Let cool, and put over a wire rack in the refrigerator, weighted down to help some of the fat push out. The next day, I cut away from the bone, and into 1" cubes. Seared on all sides in EVOO and butter. Amazing.

damn. that looks good

This looks way better on the computer than it did on my little shitty cell phone screen. The downside of moving to Dallas is no more meats from Joe’s BGE.

USDA Prime Brisket at Denny’s this Saturday.

At the risk of oversimplifying, David Chang practically started an empire making pork buns out of pork belly and it’s EXTREMELY easy to replicate them things in your own kitchen.
Clif Notes Version.
You get the buns at the asian grocery freezer aisle.
Take the skin off the belly leaving as much of the fat behind as possible.
Mix up even parts salt and sugar, rub the belly, let sit for 6 hours.
One hour at 450. One hour at 250. Done.
Pickle some cucumber slices in 3 to 1 sugar to salt for like 10 minutes. Rinse em off. Dry em off.
Chop scallions.
Hoisin.

Steam the buns. Cut thick slices of belly with an electric knife. (He says cool it down, slice it, reheat it. But I don’t have patience for that.) A few pickles, sprinkle of scallions, little hoisin.

Touch of sriracha… unreal.

pretty much asian style, except add soy sauce and five spice.

Great. now you guys got me wanting to make pork belly.

Library Bar on 6th and Hope has crazy good Maple Glaze Pork Belly skewers.

Dammit, I’m camping this weekend. I’ll be sure to make it happen one of these days. My timing is clearly off.