GE Monogram Appliances

I’m preparing for a complete kitchen remodel in a few months and am planning to purchase all GE Monogram appliances. The slide in stove/oven will be the 36" natural gas with griddle model, side by side fridge as I can’t stand the freezer on the bottom models and an integrated DW. The DW is something like 47 decibels and when run in the store was very quiet. I also got a floor sample Sub-Zero model 424 - 46 bottle integrated wine fridge for 37% below retail which I was very excited about. I am having a bit of sticker shock over the appliance cost but everyone is telling me the extra money for the Monogram line is a smart move. Appreciate any feedback on the Monogram series.

We have a Monogram cooktop running on propane. Had to have the ignition controller replaced after 6 years, but otherwise it’s been a good piece of equipment. We have a Profile oven which we are less enamored with (cleaning cycle only works sometimes).

My monagram ignition controller went two times in 5 years. The side by side crapped out after 4 years. I have not had good “luck” with GE appliances in general and monogram in particular. I would do some homework. My experience might not be the norm.

DCS and Subzero for me.

We have GE profile appliances in our apartment. Love the range, fridge is fine, hate the dishwasher - I have to pre clean more than I would like.

I’m Asian, so the dishwasher only serves as a pretty drying rack. =D

What’s the cost to replace an ignition controller? My other choice is a Wolf but it is $1500 more than the Monogram before a $2000 GE rebate when purchasing other Monogram appliances. I’ve heard Wolf also has maintenance issues.

I think ours was ~$300 (labor included), but the part wasn’t in stock here so we were without cooktop for a week until it shipped in.

We had all GE Monogram appliances in the home we just moved from last fall (lived in the home for 8+ years). We never had a problem with the dishwasher, microwave, Oven/Convection Oven OR the 6 burner gas range. The fridge was a 23+cu.ft. side-by-side that ran perfectly for about 7 years. Then there was a problem with the freezer that turned out to be a circuit board, and later the water dispenser started leaking and some kindof relay and the tubing had to be replaced. We had a home warranty policy that covered both situations. Pretty happy with Monogram overall.

[cheers.gif]

Dennis - I currently have GE Profile side by side fridge, gas stove and oven and above stove microwave. I have a different DW which is a Kenmore and I love it. I have not had serious issues with any of the GE appliances. Also, you can’t compare Profile to Monogram as they are not in the same ballpark.

Thanks Jimmie. $300 to replace the ignition controller 4-5 years down the road is certainly not enough to move me away from Monogram. Parts shouldn’t be an issue for me as I live in a relatively large metro area.

We have GE monogram side by side which we purchased in 2004. I would probably not buy it again. First, the bottom “cooler” unit of the fridge which is for wine bottles/fruit and which has a separate controller panel is problematic. The fan would repeatedly get stuck in the open position, every few months the controller would beep every few minutes for days which drove me insane and the fan would go on and off incessantly. Eventually, I disconnected the controller unit rather than paying for a new circuit board (really expensive but I don’t recall exactly how many hundreds of dollars for parts + labor). The ice maker went after a couple of years and had to be replaced. Nothing was under warranty. The cooling unit is at the top with the fan in a completely inaccessible place in the back which makes it nearly impossible to maintain/clean without a mirror mounted on a retractable antenna-like device. If you don’t clean it, the fridge overheats. Finally, not sure if they changed the configuration but the fridge used to have this vertical wide convex tube that jutted out in the middle of the fridge from the top shelf down to where the veg/fruit baskets were located. Very inefficient use of space.

We have a side by side built in fridge. The humidity control on the produce drawers leaves a lot to be desired. And the temperature swings in both the fridge and freezer really take a long time to resolve compared to our old GE profile. Otherwise, works fine with tons of space.

Each manufacturer has a niche where they excel. The other products in their appliance line might not be up to the standards of the product they’re really great at designing. I know it looks nice to have all appliances from the same manufacturer and you can bundle for a rebate, but sometimes it’s better to go with different makers. I would recommend perusing gardenweb.com. Those ppl know everything about home appliances.

Bumping this in the hopes of hearing more recent experiences with the GE MONOGRAM line of appliances?

I can get a substantial discount on this particular brand, so I would love to hear first hand experience with the refrigerators, induction cooktops, dishwashers and ovens.

Thank you!