It's Time To Smoke A Brisket!!!

Ok, the July 4th weekend and what’s better than a nice brisket?
I got a 12lb ‘Packer Cut’ Calif Prime brisket from Bryan Flannery, delivered on Wednesday.
Rubbed it on Thursday (sweet Spanish paprika, pepper, coarse salt, brown sugar, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper. Credit to Bill Jamison’s ‘bible’ on smoking meats).
Back in a plastic bag and in the fridge overnight (thanks, Bob Wood, I followed your advice).
I got the smoker going this morning. I have a Brinkmann with a firebox on one side and the chimney on the other.
using oak charcoal lumps as the fuel and a combination of hickory and oak chunks for the smoke.
Goal is to keep it at an average of 220 degrees, never spiking above 250, but 200 is fine.
It went on at 1pm today, the goal is to take it off at 4 or 5pm tomorrow (27-28 hours).
Staying up all night to check it hourly.
Serving cornbread, ribs from Smokin’ Al’s (as an app), cole slaw, corn on the cobb, potato and onion roast.
Drinking some Clarendon Hills ‘Romas’ grenache with the meat and a bunch of rose to wash everything down.
Also Boddington’s beer and some bourbon and lemonaid!!!

Ahhh. Summer begins…

Nice! [welldone.gif]

Damn, that sounds good, Peter!! I’m going to be putting together an order with Bryan and was just thinking about adding a brisket to the mix.

27 hours huh? Stocked up on coffee? Enjoy it, and post some pics if you’re able to!

golf clap ensues for this fine effort!

I doubt it will take 27 hours so keep checking it, Peter.

I picked up a 14.85 pounder Wednesday. It’s a USDA select, but I’m not so sure going higher in grade makes much difference with a smoked brisket. Many Texas pit masters don’t think so. I wanted something more the size of yours, but this was the last one the store had so I guess I’ll be giving away a lot of brisket. It won’t be that big after I get done trimming it, anyway. The fat cap must be close to an inch in spots.

It will go in the Weber around 5:00 this afternoon and then into the oven around 10:00 tonight. I expect it to be done about noon tomorrow.

Went to three Costcos today…zero briskets left.

Sucks to be you. Plan ahead?

Can you find one at HEB or some such?

27 hours seems like a much longer time that I would have expected. What internal temp are you trying to get to?

I’ve never done a brisket, but thought they were more in the 14 hour range at those temps.

Fill us in on how things went!

Untrimmed, straight from the bag.

Trimmed, with trimmings. I estimate it lost between 2 and 3 pounds. I got a bit aggessive, so I covered the meaty spots with fat after applying the rub.

Rubbed.

Two and one-half hours on the Weber. Oven to follow in a couple of hours.

God Bless You for the photos as it just became my dinner time!

I’m doing one, too, but I’m using Tom Cole’s Lazy Man’s Smoked Brisket method.

Cold smoke, followed by a trip in a 200 F oven, for an hour a pound. I know, I know…but I have to try it.
Ours was a 15.5 lb choice packer cut.

I’ll report back.

Bob,

I love brisket… Great pics… I get my brisket on a french roll with au jus from Greenblatt’s Deli here in Los Angeles, delicious.

Thanks,

leah

Ok, I’ve been working for 17 hours now. Slept on a couch in the den and went to the backyard every hour to check / add fuel all night. I’m getting an internal temp of about 160 in the fatty part and 150 in the lean part (farthest away from the heat source). Trying to keep the smoke from getting above 225 degrees, it’s spending a lot of time around 200 - 210. Goal is an internal temp of 185 - 190 in the lean part. I’m guessing that, unless I raise the smoke temp, it’s gonna take me another 10 hours to get there.
I’ve ‘mopped’ twice, the second time just 15 min ago. Looks like a black hulk, now…
Time for coffee!!!

Bob,
I like the oven idea, as after 140 degrees internal temp the meat no longer absorbs smoke. My next one, I’m gonna do that. Much easier to control the timing…

I almost forgot. I’m also making beer-can chickens. Rub of paprika, coarse salt, pepper, brown sugar. About 1.5 hours in the oven at 350, putting dark beer, onions, garlic and some of the rub in the ‘beer can’.

We did that the other night. Used a “Memphis Rub” on and under the chicken skin, and in the beer.
I was pleased with the way it came out, nice and moist with a very crispy skin.

BTW, my brisket has been in a 200 F degree oven since midnight - I can really smell the smoke.
I used a combo of oak and hickory chips to smoke the thing.

More later.

Wasn’t going to do one anyway due to my recent condition…just making an observation.

If you haven’t tried it before - try using hard apple cider instead of dark beer… very nice.

After 4 hours in the smoke, ready for the oven.

After 10 hours in the oven at 200 degrees. I haven’t taken its temperature, but the flat doesn’t pass the toothpick test. Back into the oven you go, my beauty.

Bob,

That looks awesome! You bringing that up today?

Bob, that looks amazing!
What internal temp are you aiming for, for both the thicker fatty end and the thinner lean end?

For me, at 11am, after 22 hours, I’m at 180 degrees in the fatty end (closest to the heat) and 168 degrees in the leaner end. It took me 4+ hours to raise it 20 degrees, thinking I have 4-5 hours to go, so I should be done around 3-4pm. Then I’m gonna take it out of the smoker, wrap it in aluminum foil and let it rest for an hour…