Atera - NYC

We had an absolutely stunning meal here last week. New restaurant in the old Compose space on Worth Street. Matt Lightner is the chef and even though it has only been open for a few weeks, I found every aspect of the meal perfectly polished.

Very straightforward format - fixed price meal consisting of perhaps 10 courses filled out by at least another dozen snack-sized dishes. The restaurant called me 2 days in advance to ask about any dietary restrictions, etc. There’s one counter that seats about a dozen diners and faces the open kitchen and then one separate table to the side that can fit 4-6.

The Very modern style - some molecular gastro stuff, but not as much as you might expect. Many dishes focused on textural and temperature contrasts - freeze-dried fruits, ices, flowers, grains, etc. Not everything worked, but several dishes were among the best I’ve ever had anywhere.

Just a few highlights:

Slow roasted beet with fish roe and crustacean sauce

Charred ramps with peanut glaze

Pickled quail eggs

Squab with dried pear skins and pickled wild onion

Skate in chicken broth with beef tendon

And almost a week later, I’m still thinking about several of them - to me, the greatest compliment I can bestow. Ingredients are focused on local, seasonal, and foraged. Many dishes are made to evoke their natural habitat - which to me is an artistic flair and usually doesn’t get in the way of how the dish tastes.

The wine list is extremely impressive with many gems at reasonable prices.

I absolutely loved it, but it’s probably not for everyone. That said, to me, it’s a must visit and is one of the most interesting and new openings in NYC in quite some time. This place will either blow up into the most important new NYC restaurant or fail miserably. I hope it’s the former because it really adds a lot to the dining scene here.

http://ateranyc.com/about/information/

Belated thanks for the review - I was able to make a rez for my SO’s birthday in June, so am looking forward.

Can I ask about how long the dinner lasted, because she is admittedly losing patience for long dinners (and I have conveniently not mentioned that it is tasting meal only)?

Atera and NoMad are getting all of the buzz right now. Adam Platt sure loved Atera.

3 hours easy.

i’ve spoken to a bunch of people that i trust and everyone is really enjoying Atera. really great for the NYC scene.

As in “at least three hours” or “you’ll easily be out within three hours?”

as in plan on 3 hours. we had 8 ressies and we closed the place.

Yaacov, can you compare this place to Brushstroke?

Glad it’s a 6:00 reservation! I can happily do long dinners - but Leslie even got a little fatigued at el Bulli.

Matt is a talented guy. I wish we still had him in town.

i haven’t been, but why would you want to compare the two?

One follow-up question (as we’re going next week) - I need to kill an hour before dinner (due to train schedules), can anyone recommend a place for cocktails within a short stumble of Atera?

I’ve heard good things about Macao Trading Co. (http://www.macaonyc.com/images/menu/cocktail_menu.pdf). Pricy cocktails though. Five minute walk away (Google Maps)

Apotheke for cocktails

Terroir Tribeca for wine

Photo Gallery of the dinner…
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3867927489364.160645.1013867676&type=1&l=6f7a959e90

Atera was fantastic. I was surprised that it was an even smaller space than the Catbird Seat, but a comparatively large staff serving the small number of diners.

One fine dish after another - the lardo ravioli was probably my favorite, but really too many to choose from.

The stream of early-meal “snacks” was very reminiscent of el Bulli. Pardon the boring comments - I’ve labeled as many of the pictures as possible.

Looks like Noma and Geranium. The razor clam dish is from Geranium. Did he stage at either of those places? Noma does an edible “mussel” shell, Geranium did razor clams last I was there. Presentation/room/serviceware look remarkably like Noma.

Matt Lightner staged at Noma. Where’s Geranium?

Geranium is also in Copenhagen. The chef came in 3rd, then 2nd, then won Bocuse d’Or. If you can get to Copenhagen, Geranium is a MUST (all 4 of us thought it better than Noma).
Kinda bums me out when I see stuff “lifted” like that. Recently saw some pics from a place in Germany that was doing a small, blown sugar candy apple with freeze dried apple sorbet on the inside - done 5 yrs ago at Ryugin, but no mention of any hommage or anything like that. At Manresa (been there? AWESOME!), Kinch does an Arpege egg, where he gives credit.

Looks like a great meal, in any case. Nice pictures, too, Chris. Thank you!

Thanks, Mike!

I don’t think Matt Lightner hides his influences at all - his connection to Noma is mentioned everywhere. (Atera has gotten a huge amount of attention since opening. Biggest NYC opening in a while.)

I would like to get to Manresa - haven’t been in that part of the world in quite a while.

It was a fabulous meal - the only thing I regret was that (to me) there wasn’t a single dish that defined the meal. If the meal was more successful than Catbird Seat, it was only because of the bigger staff.

Funny, because (in sports-style match-up lingo), I liked Catbird better than Ledbury, I liked Atera better than Catbird, and I liked Ledbury better than Atera! Dead heat for best meal of the year so far, I guess.

just catching up. Chris - thrilled you liked it. Looking at your pics, looks like at least 2/3 of the menu is brand new, if not more. Which is really impressive I think. Looks more cohesive than mine. I want to go back already.

Reviving this thread. I had a completely thrilling meal at Atera last night. Vying with Saison for the best meal I’ve had in the last year, and in my all-time pantheon.

Almost all of the 23 courses were excellent, but the real standouts were the smoked trout, smoked lobster with onion gel, and aged roasted duck. My only criticism is the lack of vegetable dishes. In 23 courses, I’d like the restaurant to include a few (or more than a few) truly vegetable-focused dishes, the way that Saison/Manresa/Oxheart/Arpege do. Of the 19 savory courses, every one had some protein in it.

Also, a completely fun place. Everyone seems to be enjoying themselves, and the counter arrangement keeps it very festive.

Glad you liked it, Ryan.

Even with the benefit of hindsight (which often tempers enthusiasm a bit), I would say that my meal at dinner is the best meal I have ever had in NYC.