Manwich. OMFG

Im a terrible father. Served this tonight because I don’t feel like cooking. How bad can it be right? Sloppy joes all around.

Fuck me. This stuff is awful. Was it this bad when I was a kid? More sugar than I can handle.

Anyone have a sloppy joe recipie they like?

Many, many years ago as a Boy Scout we held a sloppy joe dinner. It was pretty good.
From the mothers that were in charge:

3 lb ground beef
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup ketchup
15oz can tomato sauce
salt/pepper tp taste
1 tsp chili powder
1 Tbsp vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp prepared mustard

Brown ground beef and onion. Add celery and remaining ingredients and simmer 1/2 hour or longer.

The Mom’s made huge volumes of this and there was a really big turnout.
And wow the homemade baked beans that went with were really good too!

Manwich is such a racket.
That dinner just inducted you into the Gweilo Club of Bolingbrook.

Chris,

I grabbed some jarred red sauce a few weeks ago because I was in a hurry and wanted it with pasta that night. It was SWEET. I don’t think a lot of the stuff that’s on the market now is formulated the same way as it was when we were kids.

Most of that grocery store/prepared food crap has insane amounts of HFCS in it and tastes ridiculously sweet.

The tomato sauce I bought listed tomatoes as the first ingredient. The second? Sugar. (remember, ingredients are listed in descending order of prevalance.)

I would be worse than you.

Just about any of the canned tomato based stuff I have tasted in the last few years is overwhelmingly sweet. I call it tomato candy. [bleh.gif]

One wishes it was just tomato based stuff. It seems like more often than not, any canned item you grab off a shelf in a grocery store has sugar or corn syrup in the top 3-5 ingredients.

I always buy just crushed tomatoes and tomato paste.
Ready-made “sauces” are just doctored up with sugar and salt, for an extra 150% in price.

Hamburger Helper next week, Chris?

Sorry, I don’t have a recipe for Sloppy Joe’s, but I might be able to help with Tuna Noodle Casserole (it’s the crumbled potato chips on top that make the dish). Do not be embarrassed about taking the easy way out. At least you cooked

Slim Jim casserole, with Cheez Whiz topping, served over Wonder Bread. Do not forget a side of pasta salad, dressed with Miracle Whip.

Perhaps next week you should try some of this instead.

This is the only recipe I have, though sometimes I buy different types of buns to change it up a little.

You lazy fuck.

I fed my kids Heartbrand Akaushi Top Sirloin, pan fried taters and haricot vert tonight.

Jeezus.

I’ve contacted Child Protective Services. If your kids are eating Flannery burgers on whole wheat buns with sprouts and sweet potato fries when they get there, they may let this slide.

And by the way, did anybody else complain?? I’m thinking you’re the only one who didn’t like it. [stirthepothal.gif]

Two of the three kids did not care for it.

Sickeningly sweet. HFCS, sugar and brown sugar on the list.

Yeah Bill, piss off. :slight_smile:

Chris,

The Princess has informed me she will pick-up a can of our usual the next time she gets to the grocery store, (within 45 days), so we can try it again and see if it has changed or is to sugary.

We visited my brother-in-law’s family for a couple of days at Christmas.

They have formed the habit of volunteering to feed an entire homeless shelter. They had planned to do that on Christmas morning but our visit with them was short and the shelter had another offer for Christmas day. So they got the day after Christmas.

What they did was to cook entire stockpots of a sloppy joe mixture – which looked and smelled rather like a bean rich chili. They bought bags and bags of soft buns and served about 40 or 50 people. I didn’t taste it but it looked and smelled delicious. I could ask him for his recipe. I would bet there is no sugar involved. And perhaps it would be smart to go ahead and make a few gallons of the stuff like my b.i.l. did and freeze it in plastic containers so that you can thaw out portions at a time, enough to feed the kids. ??