Top Chef Masters

Discuss.

When I first learned about the show, my first thought was, how in the hell did they assemble this pantheon of chefs to compete in a game show? Now, after having seen the first episode, I understand: change the format. With all these chefs as busy as they are, running their empires and whatnot, there was probably no way, from a logistical point of view, to get everyone to commit to 2-3 months of filming. With this new format, they pretty much get one shot at winning … until they reach the final, that is. More pressure perhaps, but also less chances to make a fool of oneself.

I thought the scoring system was interesting. With the accumulation of points, it seems that no one judge holds more sway than the others. With the regular Top Chef, it seemed pretty clear that Colicchio was the principal judge and held the most power. But with TCM, each judge has his/her own say and can award as many points as he/she wants to the chef he/she likes best. In some ways, it seems more fair and “objective,” but I also think it helps to assuage the egos of these masters, who might take umbrage with being eliminated TC style.

As for the food, it is clear why these chefs are at the top of the culinary ladder. All their dishes seemed terrific, and they seemed to perform exceedingly well under very difficult circumstances. None of them really floundered IMO … with the exception of Michael Schlow in the dessert quickfire. In the end, I’m happy Hubert Keller won the challenge and was able to advance to the finals. But I’m wondering whether he may have had a small advantage having been a judge on TC so many times?

All in all, a decent show; I’ll keep watching. But I have to say that it just isn’t the same without Padma. Bring back my Padma!

damn i didn’t even know it started! I’ll have to watch next week!

I’m sure they will replay the first episode several times before then. Just set your DVR.

In the end, I’m happy Hubert Keller won the challenge and was able to advance to the finals. But I’m wondering whether he may have had a small advantage having been a judge on TC so many times?

When I saw the match up they had put together for Round One, I had a pretty good feeling Keller was going to take it. Yes, he may have been a judge on the original series, but the impression I get is a majority of the chefs in the industry are pretty aware of how the show works.

But as we saw last night, I think even the Masters have issues when it comes to desserts.

Even if you don’t catch it during the week, they usually play the previous week’s episode right before the new one airs.

They all did quite well. Even Schlow who was absolutely falling apart in the dessert quickfire had the presence of mind to get enough stuff on the plate to make something that that he knew the (Girl Scout) judges would enjoy at some level. Frankly his decisions in the last 60 seconds of the challenge made more sense than the decisions he made in the first 44 minutes.

The one thing that stuck out for me was how SMART Hubert Keller was. I mean really intelligent. From the way he chose to cool and then reheat his pasta to the way he chose to plate his dessert, he was clearly thinking. And even though there was a pretty big spread between these 4 chefs in the final scores I was impressed with the different approaches, the professionalism etc.

the new hostess … Kelly something-or-other … did anyone else notice that she has facial expressions that are awfully similar to those of Giada? … jus’ wonderin’ …

Was it just me, or did he actually STIR the pasta with the shower head? And if so, why did no one have an issue with that?

Either way, I was glad to see him win for the very reason you mentioned above, he seemed to be the one that was thinking about each challenge from start to finish. Not to mention, I have to root for the guy that created the Burger Bar in Mandalay Bay. I love that place!

not just you … maybe I’m missing something [shrug.gif] , but that sincerely and thoroughly grossed me out … reminded me of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer installed a garbage disposal in his shower, and made salad with his feet. [nea.gif]

I thought it was pretty good. And I like the format. All cooking, no personal stuff or mind games.
It was cool to see them all having a good time while the were competing.

I totally MISSED that altogether. But if in fact he did, that is just not cool beans.

awesome!! somebody else who says “cool beans”!! [give_heart.gif]

I really like how it’s to the point, it’s just about cooking… no one takes themselves too seriously and we just get really well executed food from some of the best in the business!

Btw, Bravo is real good in hiring minorities as hosts! :wink:

I have used cool beans (or some variety of it) for years. I say it all the time at work and people just look at me funny [emot-pwn.gif]

I was pulling for Wylie - love when he shows up on the regular series. However, Graham did put up a pretty impressive fight. But when Suzanne won the QF, it was hard to see anyone else catching her.

Okay, I like Padma…she smokes Pot, she actually is seen eating the dishes…but this chick on top chef masters…I don’t think she’s eaten anything in about 3 months. She looks anorexic when you see her arms.

Other than that, i enjoy the show and am watching the Wylie, Suzanne, Graham, “orson” chef challenge…

Maybe it’s because I’ve seen her on several seasons, but Padma seems to have a little more sass (and I like that) to her than this girl does.

Yeah, at least with Top Chef you see Padma chowing on occasion. This chick, I did not see eat a thing. And she really does look anorexic…no likey this hostess.

But I do like watching these accomplished chefs go at it. The challenges may be a little hokey but I want some of the recipes…like that coffee crusted tuna loin…wow that looked good.

i’m waiting for this girl to say “does it taste a little to salty?” ala Padma. hehe

I like the show and the new format. And I liked that Hubert won it – he’s a great guy (had the good fortune to meet him a ways back – I think in 2005) in SF.

The host…she’s scary looking.

I don’t like that the hostess doesn’t eat the food and judge.

Last night was pretty good, I wish I could have tried the dishes. I thought Grahams stuff looked the best.