Spicy Green Beans

Something to enjoy with a Bloody Mary

5-6 inch cleaned washed whole green beans, the straighter, the better. Blanch for 3-4 mins

Pack you Quart Jar with:

1 Clove Garlic
1-2 T of Dill-- I just added fresh baby dill fronds

Brine 50/50 Vinegar/H20… 4 T Kosher or Canning salt… 1-2 T Tabasco or Texas Pete or Cayenne or Red Devil

Cheers

interesting. so, are these supposed to be vacuum sealed? Is the 50/50 mixture supposed to be hot, cold, or room temp.? how long do you let them brine? tia.

These a refrigerator beans ( no sealing )… I usually cool the brine before packing… and they are to be kept in the frig and used as needed through out the fall, after about two weeks of curing. Serving temp is as u wish!!

B

Any reason that you couldn’t use the same recipe for asparagus (though I’d probably nix the dill)? How long will they keep?

TIA.

Cool. I really dig this idea, and am going to give it a go, especially now that we’re getting into that time of year when I drink lots of Bloodys (college fb season).

Brian,

You probably could skip the Tabasco and add chilies of your choice, I had some Thia bird ones… but this was my first yr growing them and they be a bit powerful. But the Tabasco is what my friends recipe calls for.

For a quart of liquid to fill the jar, I used 2 C water , 2 C White Vinegar plus the salt , with the clove and dill listed.

I just made 1 quart of spicy beans, so you will have a bit of liquid left over.

Paul

Paul,

So, I put fresh green beans on the shopping list for my wife. She came home with skinny 3" beans. Are they worth using, or should I go to another grocery store and get the 5 - 6" beans? I assume it will be easy for me to find the longer beans, but if the smaller ones will work fine then I may just use those since we already have them.

If you use the shorty glass… I’m sure they will work just fine… They are a garnish… just like celery . But you might need the girth!! AS we all wish!! [wow.gif] [cheers.gif]

OK, so I’m getting the picture that it’s very important to have the container completely filled with liquid. Any reason you can think of why a plastic container wouldn’t work just as well as glass? I’m thinkin’ the shorties will work fine as long as I put the Bloody in a martini or margarita glass (gasp! [wow.gif] )

Sounds good B…

The jar being non-reactive would be the only other reason…

Cheers

Hmmm, o.k… I might just use a glass tupperware thing, as I don’t have any glass jars. Am going to tackle this later. Am going to buy Bloody ingredients right now. [highfive.gif]

Not really, for ‘refrigerator’ pickles, so long as the beans are covered.

Just got done with these. Used some fresh rosemary in place of dill (b/c we have a rosemary bush that’s going crazy) and also added some red chilli pepper flakes. Looking forward to checking-in on them in a couple weeks. :slight_smile:

Nice!! Either way the Bloody Mary will be good I’m Sure… [cheers.gif]

Paul

Just got done canning 30 lbs of beans.We used 3 dried red chilies,3 cloves of garlic and a whole stem of dill per Qt.Pickles are next flirtysmile

Nice Mike… I put up about 24 pints of beans this yr… beans were good!! Most every other thing was pathetic .

So when , you say put up are you pressure cooking them?

OMFG! [swoon.gif]

I flirtysmile these things!!

[welldone.gif] , Paul. [thankyou.gif]

Paul,
Sorry for the delay,silvers are running [wow.gif] W e pickled the beans so a water bath for sealing was all we did.

Made a second batch of these today.

4th batch today.