Anyone Have a Super Marinated Steak Recipe?

Does anyone have a killer marinated steak recipe? I used the marinade from the skirt steak recipe from Ad Hoc at Home (olive oil simmered with garlic, rosemary, thyme, peppercorns) and was surprisingly disappointed. The kitchen smelled fantastic while the oil was simmering, but after a 4 hour marinade, the steak had minimal flavor (ribeye instead of skirt). Maybe I should have marinated overnight?

Any thoughts or great recipes?

Thanks much

Scott

For hanger, skirt, flank, flat iron, etc…

1/4 Cup Fresh Lime Juice
1/4 Cup Dark Korean Soy Sauce
1/4 Cup EVOO
Sriracha to taste
Freshly Ground Telicherry Pepper
Garlic (if desired)

Mix all in a gallon ZipLoc bag and then add steaks. Remove as much air as possible and marinate for up to an hour and a half. Remove critter from marinade and dry as best possible with paper towels. Lightly oil and hit the cooking utensil of your choice.

Note
For those that always ask what I use, the F-3 here:
http://www.sempio.com/eng/products/View.asp?mc=020101&cate1=POSO&cate2=POSON2

Korean best-seller and most popular with housewives

Precisely why I use it.

Who needs to marinate a ribeye. Just s and p,and add fat afterwards. Think Tuscan style withbath of olive oil, garlic, rosemary, and sage, or compound butter,or bleu cheese. Or just straight up. Mike

laugh all you want but it’s always been a favorite with guests at a casual barbeque:
place flank steak in a large plastic bag and marinate for 2-3 days in refrigerator with the marinade being a bottle of Wishbone Italian Dressing. Warm to room temp before grilling. Slice on the diagonal.
I have started using Heartbrand Flank Steaks–they’re Wagyu and great.
alan

Tex

That’s great, I’ll give it a try. I have always, always been disappointed with flank steaks – just too chewy for my taste. I’ve had flat irons that I’ve liked. Maybe I’ll try it with a ribeye, but don’t tell Mike :slight_smile:

Mike – I hear what you’re saying. It was actually a Florentine style steak I had my heart set on – hence the ad hoc at home marinade. It just didn’t add much flavor – maybe I will leave it overnight next time. I have a ribeye with rosemary/chinese 5 spice powder recipe from a fine cooking mag that I really, really like. It has salt and pepper too, so there’s a slim chance you’d like it :slight_smile:

Alan – haven’t done that with steak, but similar success with chicken and Paul Newman’s balsamic salad dressing. it’s a terrible salad dressing but a good marinade.

Thanks much and would love to hear more ideas

Scott

I use equal parts soy sauce and oil (say 1/2 cup) and about half that in (1/4 cup) sugar, throw in some chopped garlic or green onions. I use this on skirt steak.
As far as bottled dressings/sauces, I have used store bought barbecue sauce many times and it is delicious.

Alan-- no laughing here. My mom used Wishbone Italian Dressing on Cornish Game Hens. It was one of my favorite meals growing up!

My ‘go-to’ marinade is 4 oz. soy sauce, 4 oz. water, 2 tablespoons of olive oil and lemon juice, 1 tablespoon of brown sugar, some minced garlic and pepper.

Thanks,
Ed.

Last night, Flannery, I think Wagyu shortrib in his Korean marinade. OMFG so good!

Eric,

Were these shortribs flanken-style and grilled, or braised? I’ve never grilled the regular, non-flanken, ribs, but I think that’s the Korean BBQ method. Wouldn’t the Korean style be tougher than braised?

Not flanken style. Boneless. Wagyu. Definitely a bit toothsome. We grilled it pretty solidly and then sliced it very thinly into finger sized morsels of beefy love. You can see the product in the middle picture here:
http://www.wineberserkers.com/viewtopic.php?p=602195#p602195

It almost looks like a strip, but they were cut very thin, maybe 1/2".

Thanks, Eric. Gotta pick up some of those shortribs.

I don’t see them on his site, but just ask Bryan for whatever he sent to Seattle. It is in the same marinade that he uses for his skirt pinwheels. This is the closest cut I see:
http://www.bryansfinefoods.com/product.php?prod_id=127

Except I don’t think those are wagyu.

I modified my recipe a bit for a 1 1/4 pound USDA Prime (house aged) top sirloin. All ingredients in a gallon ZipLoc Bag for four hours:

1/2 Cup Dark Korean Soy Sauce
1/4 Cup Grapeseed Oil
1/4 Cup Korean Brown Rice Vinegar
1/4 Cup Freshly Squeezed Lime Juice
1 TBS Granulated Garlic
1 TBS Onion Powder
1 TBS Telicherry Pepper

Removed from bag and dried thoroughly. Light brusing of oil and off for four minutes per side over oak hardwood lump charcoal. Served with Japanese style fried rice that had langostine tails sauteed in clarified butter.

I use Bill’s recipe for hanger steak…fantastic!

This has worked well over the years. To keep flank from getting tough use a hot fire
and a short cook time.

Flank Steak

1 Flank steak 1½ -2” thick ½ cup (packed) brown sugar
½ cup canola or peanut 3 cloves garlic, minced
oil ½ tsp ground black pepper
½ cup tomato juice ½ cup soy sauce
(or Snappy Tom)

1. Score the flank steak on each side lightly, in a diamond
    pattern. Place in a shallow glass dish.

2. In a mixing bowl combine ½ cup of oil, tomato juice,
    soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic and pepper; whisk well
    pour over steak. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
    Get it to room temp for 2 hours prior to cooking.

3. Cook on very hot grill for 3 minutes each side for
    rare or 4 minutes/side for medium-rare. Cut on the bias,
    across the grain, in 1/4 “ slices. Don’t overcook.

How bout’ some CARNE ASADA?

A favorite of mine and this recipe is pretty close to what I ate as a kid growing up in San Diego.

\

• 3 lbs flap meat (skirt or flank works too)
  • 3 oranges, halved
  • 1 lime, quartered
  • 1 large onion, sliced thinly
  • coarse salt
  • fresh ground pepper

\
  • In a large baking dish, layer the bottom with sliced onions
  • place a piece of the meat on top of the onions
  • squeeze the orange and lime over the meat
  • sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper
  • repeat this process, then cover the dish with plastic wrap and let the meat marinate at least 4 hours. Overnight is best.

Ideally, grill the meat over mesquite charcoal, but a hot gas grill will get great results too.

For what it is worth. I have been frustrated with marinades for skirt and/or flank steak for a long, long, long time. From my experience, regardless of the marinade, they just do not impart additional flavor to these cuts of meat after all is said and done even after a two day marinade.

Some might remember my advice to reduce Worcesteshire sauce to about 1/4 its volume - turning it into a gastrique. Oddly enough, Lea and Perrins has agreed with my assessment of its sauce when added to whole cuts of meat. See the following - http://www.leaperrins.com/products/thick-classic-worcestershire-sauce.aspx

So, I recommend either the thick Lea and Perrins or reducing the French’s Worcestershire by 3/4. This is not a marinade. Add this to your meat first and then add salt and pepper immediately prior to cooking. Those of you familiar with my previous posts will remember that I recommend Lawry’s garlic salt and Adam’s Malabar pepper as the only additional seasonings. For a more Hispanic taste profile, add some lime juice to the French’s Worcestershire sauce prior to reducing. This will again concentrate the lime taste and make the skirt steak more authentic tasting. Sear on as high a heat for the shortest time as possible for the most authentic taste.

Folks, this is seriously good stuff.

I am trying this marinade out to see if Bill even knows how to season, let alone grill. I’ll report back with my results. Hmmmm Now what wine would best suit this?