Brown Shrimp Source.. got shrimp/grits on the brain/ fav rec

I was looking at this recipe ( below ) and got me hankering for bit of shrimp and grits!!

Recipe uses Brown shrimp… I think they are sustainable, too!! So… When is the season and where can I source them Critters!!

Oh… by the way got a Shrimp and grit recipe?

Ummmmmm Shrimp and Grits…

Paul,

The finest shrimp & grits I’ve eaten were served at Magnolia’s in Charleston SC. Here’s the recipe: magnolia's spicy shrimp, sausage and tasso gravy recipe | restaurant recipes | clone restuarant recipes | copycat restaurant recipes
If you don’t have a source, get your tasso here: http://www.cajunsausage.com/index.htm

Sorry, I can’t help on a source for brown shrimp; I buy mine locally. But I wouldn’t get hung up on brown. The Georgia shrimp harvest is about 1/3 brown (Penaeus aztecus) and 2/3 white (P. setiferus), and there isn’t a nickel’s worth of difference in flavor or texture.

I would, however, reject out-of-hand the suggestion of yellow grits. Get some old-fashioned, slow cooking, stone ground white grits. Here’s an outstanding source for heirloom white flint corn grits: http://www.barkersmill.netfirms.com/

Enjoy.

Bob

Really? Isn’t the answer blatently obvious?

Link?

newhere

Big Toe,
That would be Forrest Gump of Bubba Gump Shrimp

Looks more like Tom Hanks to me.

[tease.gif]

highly recommend these grits
http://www.weisenberger.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=83&CFID=2851106&CFTOKEN=57745

Well, sure. And the other guy looks a lot like Gary Sinise, but it’s really Lieutenant Dan.

Our Texas brown shrimp arrive frozen (they are flash frozen on the shrimping boats). We thaw them daily, but we go through the most shrimp on the weekends (Thurs.-Sat.).

Hope this helps,

Sarah Harper
Fishmongress
Quality Seafood Market
sarah@qualityseafoodmarket.com

This is what I got from qualityseafoodmarket… I guess I’m not that worried about frozen, as I have have had some great frozen Tiger shrimp. I also see Maine shrimp is going on now… I don’t think they ship freeze them ?

I really wouldn’t get hung up on brown shrimp. I would get hung up on freshness. Growing up in Charleston, SC, shrimp and grits is a staple, and I’ve had it with white and brown, and as Mr. Fleming says, not a bit of difference. But we are talking shrimp that come right off the boat.

I am going to have to respectively disagree with Mr. Fleming on this one, at least for brown versus white shrimp taken from off the Texas gulf coast. In my experience, brown shrimp are sweeter and more “shrimpier”, particularly when batter fried, possibly due to the difference in diet but I have no way of knowing if this is the reason. I do know that I prefer brown over white given the choice.

Like many dishes, there are lots of variations, but I prefer to taste the shrimp, not bell peppers or sausage, assuming you can get good shrimp. While fresh off the boat is always best, I’ve made this with frozen shrimp (bought fresh) and it still disappears quick. Hard to improve on the original Crook’s Corner version:

Add 3/4 C grated sharp cheddar cheese to 1 C cooked grits. When fully incorporated, season to taste with your favorite hot sauce (I like Crystal’s better than Tabasco), a very little nutmeg, and white pepper. Keep warm.

Have everything chopped and ready to go, because once you add the shrimp it will cook pretty fast and you don’t want to overcook the shrimp.

Dice 6 slices of bacon and saute in a large skillet until the edges are brown, but not crisp. Add enough peanut oil to make a scant 1/8 inch layer and add 1 pound of peeled shrimp when hot. Turn the shrimp when they start to color and add 2 C sliced mushrooms. Saute about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add 1 C finely sliced scallions and stir. Add 1 large garlic clove through the press (I use 2). Season with 4 teaspoons lemon juice, more hot sauce, salt, pepper and 2 tablespoons chopped parsley.

Spoon the grits on a plate and spoon the shrimp on top. Says it serves 4, but this is a nice portion for the missus and me with maybe a little left over for lunch. The leftover cheese grits are excellent the next morning sauteed for breakfast.

Now, I’m hungry!

followed by:

is the definition of cognitive dissonance.

For the record, I have no problem with any of those ingredients - except cheese, which I personally consider an abomination in shrimp & grits. YMMV.

So far…

Farm2Mrkt can get me shrimp with-in 36 hrs!!

But…What is the status of the shrimp in the Louisiana area ?

paul

" Those of you who read the “Rosengarten Report” or watch David Rosengarten on the Food Network or NBC’s “Today Show,” have heard about these shrimp. He talks about them all the time. They won the “Gold Medal” for the best shrimp in America. The shrimpers who catch and ship these beauties for us go out at night in small skiffs carrying lanterns to attract the shrimp. Working the nooks and crannies of the Louisiana coast where the big shrimp boats fear to tread, they throw cast nets by hand. Sometimes they only catch 6 shrimp per throw. But, oh my, are these shrimp nice. They hit ice immediately that night and aren’t processed or soaked in any way. They’re sold heads-on, just the way they come out of the sea. They average about 12 to the pound, but they’re not size graded so sometimes you get some monsters. They’ll hit your kitchen less than 36 hours out of the water. Cook 'em with their heads-on, just like the Louisiana “shrimpers,” end enjoy the sweet flavor and crisp texture that is the hallmark of “Fresh” shrimp. " from F2M

http://www.seafoodsource.com/newsarticledetail.aspx?id=902

Hey Robert, I merely stated a preference and thought the OP might like to try the original conception, since he was asking for recipes. I didn’t think it necessary to describe alternatives as “an abomination”. I don’t see any dissonating in my cognition that the ingredients I use in my recipe are much subtler and play a supporting role flavor-wise, as opposed to tasso gravy and Italian sausage, which I think would dominate. But, that’s just me; I’m a firm believer in eating and drinking what you like, not what I think you should like.

For the record, if you put a plate of it in front of me with plain grits, tasso gravy, and Italian sausage, I would scarf it. YMMV

I’m giving this " Crook’s Corner version " a try " from the chronicals of " Sunday Family Dinners "

I will have to modify it slightly thou… I have white cheddar, prosciutto and Gulf of Maine shrimp!! Or any other ideas?

FWIW, I went to a jazz/soul food brunch buffet in Philadelphia yesterday. It was the shrimp etouffe over grits (think they had cheese in them, but am not sure)…that I kept going back to. Can still experience them…nostalgically. Never been exposed to this combo that much…but…it is heavenly.

So this is the finished dish!!

I made my grits with Annabella stone ground white grit from Anson Mills, I used chicken stock and cooked them about 90 min , after a 4 hr pre-soak. Finished with Beecher’s Flagship White cheddar and Prosciutto . Where have I been? This grit thing is absolutely fabulous. flirtysmile

My sauce was chx stock, roasted plum tomatoes, garlic, lemon juice , Tabasco sauce after a brief warming, I just threw in the shrimp ( GUlf of Maine )

Killer meal