Seasoning for a short ribs preparation?

So I’ve been cooking my short ribs recently in either nebbiolo or chianti with a bunch of sliced onions at 325 for 4 to 5 hours, and the only seasoning I’ve really been using is sea salt, but I want to try something else one of these times. I thought about cloves of garlic, but wasn’t sure if they would get bitter simmering in wine for all that time. Maybe bay leaves? Any thoughts or recommendations out there?

I’m wondering about a star anise…as a possible idea…?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Well, I thought garlic and thyme would be good. Just went to Google and entered “braised short ribs red wine” and found this recipe on the Food and Wine site:

Red Wine Braised Short Ribs Recipe - Tom Valenti" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Didn’t look further, but there was your garlic and bay leaf idea and my thyme. Woody herbs do well in a long braise.

Now wait just one darned minute. [snort.gif]

Woody way to go!!

A link here too!!

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/602650" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

idsedixit : uses a bit in his oxtail rcp… dont know why… short ribs wont work!!

I braise oxtail in red wine, star anise, allspice, soy sauce and garlic all the time.

Tastes great and makes the house smell like heaven.

Here’s what I usually go with – very easy and quite tasty – a modified Mario Batali recipe:

For the shortribs…
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (I just pour in a bit, no need to measure)
Approx 4 lbs short ribs (Sometimes I go for bone-in, sometimesI go to Costco and get the boneless short ribs. Both are fine)
Kosher Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper
2 carrots, peeled and roughly chop
1 onion, roughly chopped
2 celery stalks, roughly chopped
5 garlic cloves, pressed…again (use more if you love garlic, I do)
2 cups Barolo or other full-bodied red wine (Really any red will do and you don’t need )
1 28 oz can peeled tomatoes
1 cup beef stock
1/2 bunch of thyme (with the herbs, fresh is better but dry works fine too)
1/2 bunch of rosemary
1/2 bunch of oregano
(You can also add mushrooms if you like. I’m a huge fan, so I have dried mushrooms in my house at most times. If you go this route, pre-soak the mushrooms when you heat the oven then thrown in after you add the tomatoes)

1. Preheat the oven to 300 F. (if you need to cook faster, raise temp and reduce cooking time…I sometimes turn to 325 if I have a lot of meat or if I have just a bit but want to reduce the cooking time)

2. In a large, heavy-bottomed skillet or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over high heat until smoking. Season the ribs with salt and pepper and cook them over high heat until deep brown on all sides, about 10-15 minutes total. [Note: Mario Batali emphasizes in the recipe intro that “the most important step here is the initial browning: do not shorten it or the final braise will not be as intensely flavored or colored.” It makes a huge difference. Brown that meat!]

3. Remove the short ribs to a plate and set aside.

4. Add the carrots, onion, celery, and garlic to the pan and cook over high heat until browned and softened, about 4-5 minutes.

5. Season with salt and pepper and stir in the red wine, tomatoes and juices, chicken stock, and herbs, scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to dislodge browned bits.Season with salt and pepper and stir in the red wine, tomatoes

6. Bring the mixture to a boil and return the short ribs to the pan.

7. Cover with aluminum foil and place in the oven. Cook for three hours or until the meat is very tender and literally falling off the bone.

Here’s mine. Works like a charm. The port adds a sweetness to the dish that rocks.

4 lbs+ short ribs
3 lg onions
6-8 lg carrots
2 heads garlic
1 bottle red wine of choice
1 bottle tawny port
2 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup honey
salt and pepper

season meat generously with s&p. brown in canola oil over high heat on all sides. remove and add onion and carrots and heat till onions release aromatics and browned bits can be scraped off bottom of pot. Add wine, port, honey and garlic. Top with meat. Put in 350º oven uncovered for 2-1/2 hours. Remove meat, strain out solids from liquid in pot. Reduce liquid over high heat until you have about 2 cups. use a little roux to thicken and use as a sauce.

I have used swiss chard sauteed w/mushrooms as a base, top with garlic mashed and then the meat with sauce drizzled over that. Really come out killer.

Shave a little bit of dark chocolate in and stir right before serving.

I’ve posted this before, and here it is again. Coffee/ancho short ribs from Robert del Grande of Cafe Annie in Houston. I strain the liquid rather than pureeing the chiles since I find that makes the sauce a little bitter. Great this time of year with cheddar cheese polenta and roasted Brussels sprouts.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Short-Ribs-Braised-in-Coffee-Ancho-Chile-Sauce-107596" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And I have posted this one before… never fails to kill… I use boneless short ribs.

With long, slow braising, the meat becomes tender and falls off the bone, and the juice does wonders for your soft, creamy bed of polenta.

BRAISED BEEF SHORT RIBS
Browning the meat before braising it adds color and flavor, plus helps render out some of the fat. The sauce may be left brothy or thickened with beurre manie or butter at the end. If you thicken with the butter-flour mixture, be sure to simmer the sauce long enough to get rid of the raw-flour taste. Serve with polenta or mashed potatoes and a green salad or a favorite vegetable.

INGREDIENTS
4 1/2 pounds beef short ribs
1 small yellow onion, chopped
Olive oil as needed
4 garlic cloves, peeled and bruised
8 slices of fresh ginger, bruised
4 cinnamon sticks
1 teaspoon whole Sichuan pepper, or black peppercorns
1 bay leaf
1 cup dry red wine
6 tablespoons soy sauce
2 cups low-salt beef or chicken broth
2 teaspoons pomegranate concentrate (I substitute plum sauce with fine results)
1 tablespoon tomato puree
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 thyme sprigs
Chopped Italian parsley or green onions for garnish (optional)

INSTRUCTIONS Cut the short ribs apart. Working in batches, brown them on all sides in a Dutch oven over high heat. Set aside.

Drain the excess fat from the pot and begin sweating the onion, adding a little olive oil as needed. Add the garlic, ginger, cinnamon, peppercorns and bay leaf. Saute until aromatic, then add the wine.

Cook until almost dry, then add the soy sauce, broth, pomegranate concentrate, tomato puree and brown sugar. Stir to combine. Add the short ribs and thyme. Add more broth or water to bring the level of the liquid about halfway up on the meat.

Bring to a simmer, then cover and cook at a bare simmer for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, or until the meat and connective tissues are soft when tested with a knife tip, and are almost falling off the bone. Transfer the meat to a warmed serving platter and cover loosely.

Strain the braising liquid, then cook until reduced in volume and the flavor has concentrated to your taste. Skim off the fat and adjust the seasonings, then pour over the short ribs. Garnish with parsley, if desired.

Serves 4

I have had great results with this recipe, from Charlie Trotter Cooks at Home, for Red Wine Braised Short Ribs: http://www.labellecuisine.com/archives/beef/Red%20Wine-Braised%20Short%20Ribs%20with%20Garlic%20Mashed%20Potatoes.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The coriander adds a very nice note.

Looking for more exotic flavors? I love this recipe (with beef, haven’t tried bison) for Red Curry Bison Short Ribs with Baby Bok Choy: Slow-Cooker Balsamic Short Ribs Recipe | EatingWell" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[oops.gif] [worship.gif]

I’m doing Guinness braised short ribs right now. Its a modified version of the recipe from Epicurious. Nix the tomato, add some molasses.

So once the meat falls off the bones they are boneless? [snort.gif]

So once the meat falls off the bones they are boneless shortribs? [snort.gif]

They’re double boneless, apparently.

One tip for braises…the meat is fatty and creates a lot of liquid fat in the juice. Use a fat separator (looks like a measuring cup crossed w a teapot) towards the end.

Or, better/easier, refrigerate overnight since they’re better the next day anyway and let the fat solidify on top. Remove the solid fat and… voila!

Yup and as a bonus, braised dishes are always better on day 2. Unfortunately, these will never survive dinner tonight. After shoveling 18" plus plow guys nice work creating a 4 foot wall at my driveway entrance, I’m gonna eat like a lumberjack with a tapeworm.

Instant coffee powder and ground cinnamon.