Charleston, SC

After a shitty last few days my wife and I will get a much needed vacation with some friends in Charleston, SC. We are eating at McCrady’s tomorrow night. We also have plans to visit FIG and High Cotton. I thought I would ask: any lunch spots people like? Any wine shops worth checking out? (I will be bringing a box of wine up, but it can never hurt to look . . .)

Liotta,

My girlfriend Sara lived and worked there for over 15 years in the restaurant/wine biz…still very well connected.

I’m at Negroni #3 right now so I’ll have to get back to you tomorrow!

Great area…what a food and drink town! Have a great time John!

Check out Fuel, a taco joint in an old gas station. It is across from

Hominy Grill, which deserves it rep. Though we found it better for dinner than brunch. More focus and food was better prepared.

Liked Poogan’s Porch a lot for breakfast. Grits were better - if yellow - than HG.

Visit the Tea Plantation to the S of Charleston. Fascinating.

Say ‘hi’ to Chef Sean and Clint, the Somm, at McCrady’s. One of our fav places in the US. Had a great meal there about 6 weeks ago. Make sure and do the tasting menu. Congrat Sean for Cochon 555 + Beard award too!

A.

I think there are quite a few threads on this, though maybe they were all on ebob. There are tons of good fine dining establishments, but I guess you are looking for something more casual/unique? For good semi-upscale lunch, check out Cru Cafe. For barbecue – Mama Brown’s, Bessingers, Melvins (in that order of preference), or head out of town to Scott’s or Sweatman’s (in that order of preference). In Mt. Pleasant, Gullah Cuisine is good, if a little expensive for soul food, as is SeeWee cafe in Awendaw. I don’t have a lot of love for Jestine’s or Poogan’s Porch. The Wreck in Mt. Pleasant has good seafood in a non-fine dining setting. Have heard good things about Alluette’s Cafe (http://www.alluettes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) but have never been.

John,

From my better half:

Lunch
-SNOB or Cru Cafe (first choice)

Wine shops

-Crush in Mt. Pleasant

-Piggly Wiggly in Mt. Pleasant

-Wine Awhile in Mt. Pleasant

Looks like everyone else has provided very good options. Enjoy!

Definitely hit up S.N.O.B.; killer food…

I used to have a shirt from Piggly Wiggly in college that said: “I’m big on the pig” All the kids loved it.

I’ve dined before at McCrady’s when I was in SC for work for several months. I was not that impressed. Call me a snob, but it would be a good, but not great restaurant in San Francisco or Chicago. [stirthepothal.gif]

After last night I certainly disagree.

Thanks for all the recs. We are heading to Cru Cafe for lunch today.

My girlfriend still wears that shirt proudly! oink oink

Glad you’re enjoying yourself!

We had a nice meal at High Cotton last night. Brought in four wines- didn’t get charged corkage. Per recommendations I tried Poogan’s Porch for lunch today and it was also pretty tasty. Tonight we are heading to FIG.

Also checked out Taco Boy for lunch, which was pretty excellent. And, after a shitty meal elsewhere, the mezzanine bar at Cypress. Today, before we leave, I think we might try Hominy Grill. Thanks again for all the recommendations. We had a really fun weekend.