Another Thankgiving planning thread

I have once again suffered a mental lapse and agreed to head up the food portion of the annual Thanksgiving banquet for the family homeless shelter in White Plains. Two years ago, I posted here and asked for recipe suggestions and got a number of good ideas, notably including a sweet potato pie that was so good that the staff at the shelter asked me to make it again when we planned the menu the following year.

Although the average stay at the shelter is less than 6 months, so there are not a lot of repeat cusomers year to year, I like to mix it up. Anyone have any good suggestions? Here is the key data:

Approximately 110 people so we need to make in large quantities and last minute labor intensive does not work. I will have a crew of sous chefs but the service at the last minute is hectic enough already.
Must be suitable for table service - we do it at our Temple and treat it like they are coming to a wedding banquet, although we serve family style not individually plated.
We have passed hors d’oeuvres in the lobby to start so that’s part of the menu.
No alcohol, no pork, no shellfish.
We serve lots of carbs because that is what people seem to like. I try a veggie or two every year and they tend to flop.
I want to serve roast beef every year but I get shot down by everyone, including the shelter staff, because they say it’s just not a food that the residents are comfortable with.

The following are likely to be on the menu.

Deviled eggs and pigs in blankets and baby meatballs.
Turkey.
Grilled marinated chicken
Sweet potato pie
Double stuffed baked potatoes
Mac and cheese - can’t make enough of it. Unbelievable how much of this the kids eat. And the adults.

Any other ideas? Anyone who comes up with a vegetable idea that people eat wins a prize from my cellar.

Brussel sprouts sautéed with bacon onions and cream

Grilled carrots are delicious and should work with the other dishes. If you want to jazz it up, you can serve with a pesto that can be prepared ahead of time.

Greens are good too, but better with bacon. Ive used turkey bacon for obvious reasons and it is really not bad.

Reading problem? We have too many Muslim guests so bacon is not allowed in my synagogue.

Only if you’ve never had the real thing. Growing up I used to eat Hebrew National Kosher beef fry all the time. Then I had the real thing and never turned back.

Use duck fat instead of bacon.

I figure you weren’t going that kosher as you were doing cheese and meat.

Acorn squash roasted with maple syrup and pecans. To save cost you can sub brown sugar and add some maple extract.

Peal and cube the squash, toss in fair amount of butter and maple/brown sugar, cinnamon and salt to taste and roast at about 400 on large sheets. When they are starting to soften, turn/toss them and add the pecans so they are also coated with the butter sugar.

It’s a veg but it’s candied and is usually a crowd favorite. Also easy to do multiple large sheets of, can be done a bit in advance and then reheated without too much degradation of flavour/consistency.

Also Corn Pudding. You can make this in roasting pans. Hi carb, a little sweet and corn is an easily recognizable and safe veg to serve.

Will you still have fresh corn that late in your area? on the cob? Creamed?

Another vote for squash, though I do butternut instead (which is also better for larger prep, since they are typically larger, and less work in terms of pealing for the amount of volume). I don’t actually use any sugar, since after roasting and browning, they get plenty of natural sweetness. I mix in some coarsely chopped shallots about half way through (at least an hour of cooking time). Season with plenty of salt, pepper, cumin, whatever other spices you want to throw in and mix with a little vegetable oil before spreading out to roast.

I’d use a mixture of creamed and cut a bunch off the cobs near the end of the summer and freeze.

Love brussel sprouts with turkey - try Bobby Flays recipe with pomegranate http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/roasted-brussels-sprouts-with-pomegranate-and-hazelnuts-recipe-1973768

A mix blend of roasted vegetables seems to work time and time again at family functions even with the younger picky set who like mac n cheese. Easy to prep and cook and can include carrots, squashes, onions of various sorts, etc. Toss with some garlic, olive oil, salt & pepper and fresh herbs. Gravy can spill over on the veggies and no harm, no foul…

I’d do an updated green bean casserole. It has the beans, the mushrooms and onions but not a can of Campbell’s Soup or those pre-fried onions in sight. It can be all premade and reheated so fits that aspect of your plan. And it will prob please your crowd… be familiar… just a better version of it.

Happy to PM the recipe if you like

Great suggestion. Bob Fleming posted a great recipe that I’ve made several times:

I do the same as Thanksgiving is often the tail end of Chanterelle season for us. I’m not ashamed to love the classic version either though.

Sweet potatoes, Diced in 1 inch cubes, baked with butter and sage until crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside. When done cooking, toss with fresh baby spinach.

Bump - we’re finalizing the menu and I still have no green vegetable choice that will work “for the masses.” I may have to go with a green bean casserole, but that seems so cheap. I would do eggplant parmesan but I don’t think that quite works as a side dish.

Kale salad? This can be really good (the key seems to be chopping it fine and mixing with right things, like mayonnaise or veganaise and some nuts or chopped apple, cucumber, etc). Not sure if salad fits with the rest of your menu tho.

Roasted Cauliflower? You can go with any choice of seasonings. I usually just do olive oil and garlic but you could make it more crowd friendly by using parmesan.

Of course it isn’t green.

Creamed Spinach. This is the best example I have ever had:

Broccoli Gratin?