Pasteis de Nata

anybody try making these custard pies we loved in Lisbon? I bought the tins and will try soon. They have a croissant dough crust, kind of a crème brûlée kind of dessert. Wonderful.
IMG_7624.JPG

Never tried but I couldn’t get enough of those when we were in Lisbon. Yummy.

here they are being made at one of the places we are them–at the time Out Market. This is the croissant dough before being pressed out. Will find other pix.
IMG_7595.JPG

IMG_7602.JPG

Newark, NJ has a big Portuguese population. I buy them whenever I’m there. Almost as good as the ones I had in Lisbon.

We have a great bakery in Jersey City which sells the Filipino version. Paul can vouch for the results.

Seems very similar if not identical to the Portuguese version, possibly it came by way of the Spanish conquest? Or maybe just parallel evolution.

Jay, those are great!

I’m glad somebody (Paul) likes the Jersey City Filipino version.

I’ve never had the Jersey City ones, but have had many traditional Filipino versions and they’re all very similar to one another with the very dense eggy-milky filling that are contained in the very dense, doughy shell. As far as I can remember, they don’t even have a local name of it and it’s available and advertised in bakeries all over simply as “Egg Pie”.

The good Portuguese versions veers more to the light custard in taste and texture, with a very flaky, slightly crunchy shells. Big difference from the Filipino versions.

Can’t have come by way of the Spanish conquest. Spanish don’t make anything similar to the Pasteis de Nata. I would think that the Filipino version came more by way of the Chinese travelers/traders to the Philippines back in the very early days.

Ramon, I’ve never had any other Filipino ones other than the one Jay gets. Maybe a little heavier than the ones I get in Newark but not by much. They are very comparable.

Thanks Paul, appreciate the insight and info. The ones that Jay gets appear to be very similar to the Portuguese kind. I have to get me some of that, if I can get the bakery’s name.

IMG_7732.JPG
IMG_7730.JPG
Made them today. Not good. Will try again. Need hotter oven, more time, thinner dough. Will amalgamate a couple recipes.

By the way, I did mention earlier about the Filipino ones being brought in by Chinese traders in the old days. Even in Manhattan’s Chinatown area, specifically at Chinese bakeries and confection stores at Bayard/Mott Streets and some along Canal, you will find very Portuguese-style of the the Pasteis being sold, with similar texture and taste, even including the slightly burned caramelized top.

+1

I thought these were amazing when I was in Lisbon and have had some great ones from an NJ Bakery.

Not much of a Baker but if there were any Bakeries that would ship these (have not found one yet) , I could guarantee an avid customer!

Asian bakery near here called 85 Degrees evidently sells them so will make a sojourn there today, though I still intend on mastering it myself.

Neptune Bakery
1612 John F Kennedy Blvd, Jersey City, NJ · (201) 333-2374
on the corner of Neptune Avenue.

When you go in ignore the main counter in the center which is where they sell everything but the tarts and go to to the far left corner which is where the tarts are sold. In addition to the normal custard tarts they also sell coconut custard (excellent) and coconut (very good but my least favorite of the three). You’ll need a car to get there.

Thanks, Jay.

If we ever manage to attend the same dinner again in this lifetime I can try and pick some up for you. They’re open 24 hours a day.

Cool thread. I’m heading to Portugal and will be in Lisbon and Oporto. Any recs from your travels?

Cool thread. I’m heading to Portugal and will be in Lisbon and Oporto. Any recs from your travels?