Shake Shack coming to Seattle: what should I expect?

Being a good, born and raised PacNW-er, I have a genetic, built-in bias towards all things West Coast. [snort.gif] Some might call it being a homer. East Coasters would likely call it jealousy or an inferiority complex (that’s so an East Coast thing to say). Anyway, when I saw a quick blurb this morning that Shake Shack was setting up near the Amazon campus, I thought I’d reach out you to all. What should I expect? High-end burgers and fries? Greasy spoon, but good? I’ve had In-and-Out while in Reno en route to Tahoe and I was satisfied, but not necessarily impressed. So, is Shake Shack like In-and-Out? Please, educate me…

Not In & Out (which, after only having it once, I did not get the hype for). Expect one of the best fried chicken sandwiches around, decnt burgers, wine & beer, too damned sweet shakes and long lines at first.

Enjoy.

in N Out animal style still very good but I would describe SS as a “moister” burger which I enjoy. Thicker patty and superior buns also. There is one opening like a mile from me in South Bay this fall so very excited as well.

Expect long lines at least to start, along with decent but overpriced burgers and extremely mediocre crinkle cut fries. The burgers have some different topping options, which make them slightly interesting, but on the whole I would still lean towards five guys or something like that.

I hear the shakes/concretes are good, but I am lactose belligerent so tend to avoid.

You will want to go the first month it is open

After you experience it, not so much

There are loads of these in Abu Dhabi, they don’t seem very popular compared with the US and U.K.

I wasn’t impressed the times I took the kids.

Well, based on the absurdly long lines when Chick-fil-A opened up in Bellevue last year, I’m going to avoid it for a while. I do like the sound of it as an alternative, though…and, I’m an absolute SUCKER for a good fried chicken sandwich (thanks, Jorge).

Welcome Brandon. Yeah, the chicken sandwich is legit!

Oh, and I didn’t go to my first SS until May of last year (I’ve lived in NY since 2003). But I went hard when I did!

Went hard? TMI.

chick fil a’s is better.

Brandon, they have an App so you can order ahead of time and just go pick it up. Makes it a breeze. I’m a big fan of their burger and fries. The potato bun is the star

Lobster burger this weekend, at the Shack EMP popup in the Hamptons (which will feature a clam burger as well) and Madison Park.

Shake-Shack-Lobster-Burger-1016-1200x758.jpg

I’m liking this! Not sure how I’d feel about a lobster burger. It looks…interesting. I’ll definitely roll (pun intended) with the potato bun, Charlie. Jorge - that looks really good.

+1

Over rated. The burgers I make in my back yard are infinitely better. I will not wait more than about 3 minutes on line to eat there. It’s not bad, but I do not understand what the fuss is all about.

But Shake Shacks get A grades from the Health department. :wink:

Brandon - the burgers & fries at uneeda burger are significantly better than shake shack. Can’t speak to the chicken sandwich at shake shack as I haven’t had it. The owner of uneeda burger was on vacation in napa and ate at Taylor’s/gott’s refresher, and loved it so much, he decided to copy it in seattle as uneeda burger. And he already had pretty significant chops as a chef from his others restaurants, I believe.

Theo

First I should mention that there seems to be varying quality from location to location.

I like the burgers, don’t like the fries, like the Shackago dog very much, like the concretes, haven’t tried the fried chicken sandwich. I don’t go out of my way for it but it’s a good option for what it is.

Burgers. flirtysmile

Hotdogs [scratch.gif]

Fries [swearing.gif]

Shakes [cheers.gif]

SS beats 5 Guys, and 5 Guys is steps above Chick filet. In-n-Out is a west coast thing, and a once a year guilty pleasure; but it doesn’t hold a candle to SS or 5 Guys.

The original location in NYC (Madison Square Park) on 23rd st where Broadway meets 5th Ave is always busy. I never wait more than 5 minutes (Jay) at the 86th street location on the east side.

That said, Shake Shack is a twice a year guilty pleasure. If you want a real burger, go to a good burger joint.

Been to Shake Shack several times. Each time left disappointed. This is not a fast food place, but a sit down place. Double or triple the cost of In and Out.