NYC - Later-Night Dinner

Can anyone help with suggestions for a great, fun spot for dinner at 11:45 or midnight on a Friday night, in Manhattan? We’ll be getting out of the opera at 11:35. Thanks much in advance!

Theo

Bubby’s or Odeon.

Great NY Noodletown open until 4am
http://greatnynoodletown.com/
28 Bowery
BYO

Jacobs Pickles open til 2am

Victor was the first person to post but not the first person to suggest NY Noodletown?

Drink up guys and gals, the End is Near.

Jacobs Pickles is closed due to a fire but they are partying around the corner at Maison Pickle. I haven’t been but I would think it’s similar.

L’Express for 24 hour steak tartare and croque monsieurs plus Belgian beers. Park and 20th.

Blue Ribbon

It depends if you’re at Lincoln Center for the Opera, but if so, Boulud Sud has a Happy Pasta Hour from 9P to close in their bar and lounge. Half price App and MC servings and pasta is housemade. Last meal there I had a deconstructed Carbonara that was terrific.

https://www.bouludsud.com/happy-pasta-hour

It might be too tight; their posted hours for Bar and Lounge are till midnight Mon-Sat. Not sure how long they let folks linger.

Second.

Thank you all! Please keep the late-night suggestions coming.

Jason - Yes, we will be at Lincoln Center. Thank you.

Separately - What are people’s thoughts on (i) Minetta Tavern (they serve until 1am) and (ii) La Grenouille (not for late-night; for another night). (I haven’t been in NYC in a little while.)

Thanks again, much, and please keep the late-night Friday dinner suggestions coming!

Theo

La Grenouille is quite formal.

Read antiquated.

I love La Grenouille. I have loved it since the 1970’s and it is just about the same place it was then. They maintain an upscale classic French tradition that is rarely seen anymore. Lunch and pretheater are very good too but the classic evening dinner experience there is wonderful. We eat there at least once a year.
They require a sport coat but that is the only dress code rule. I have seen people wear a sport coat and jeans there.

+1 for Maison Pickle at Broadway and 84th
Sushi Seki at 1st Ave and 62nd/63rd
Blue Ribbon Grill on 58th St is very close to Lincoln Center and open till 2:30
The Smith is directly across from Lincoln Center - it is lively and the food is decent - open till 1:00 AM
PJ Clarkes is even closer than The Smith and serves a decent burger… also lively after Lincoln Center lets out

IMG_7183.JPG
I’m generally in agreement with Sopher.

PJ Clarke’s is a little pricey and quality IMHO not as good at The Smith.

Tao Uptown is at 58th & Madison and open until 1 on Fridays.

Tanner Smith’s has great bar food and open until 4am.

Maison Pickle is the bomb! (picture) not sure why it rotated out of line.

I think your choice should depend upon where you’re staying in town and whether you want to eat asap after the show local or are willing to travel. Lots of good stuff open later downtown.

Third. Just adding on: I’m partial to the Brasserie at West Village which is open until 4am.

In case you make it, Minetta Tavern, also at W Village is open until 1 am. Excellent French bistro dishes.

All, Thanks so much for all the great suggestions. Please keep them coming, if you’d like - all help is appreciated. I’m going to turn this over to my better half for decisions. We’ll probably be in black-tie, if that makes any difference for the suggestions.

Brent - We are staying on central park south, but are more than happy to travel downtown.

Ramon - Thank you. I was curious about Minetta Tavern as mentioned above (someone mentioned it to me & endorsed it highly).

Jim - Thanks for your views on La Grenouille, perhaps for another night (Thanks also, Ray). You don’t happen to know if their after-theatre goes late, e.g., serving to midnight, or if their pre-theatre starts early, e.g, 4 or 4:30? (We have a 6pm curtain.) And is it worth stopping in to Bar Aviateur if we can’t make it in for dinner, or it just really a bar stuck onto a nice restaurant?

Again, thanks all for all the help. It is much appreciated.

Theo

BTW, Brent & others - That Maison Pickle photo looks crazy-good! We may have to stop in there sometime in any event!

At that time your best option is Blue Ribbon; however, they don’t take reservations and it is small. They get weird waves of people so you never know when it will be slammed.

if they’re open late enough and i was in my tux, i’d try to get into the grill
awesome room and i’d think pretty fun at that hour
again, if they serve that late

of course blue ribbon is great late, but it does get very tight in there as robert mentioned

Theo - question is how far do you want to go at 11:45PM and what sort of meal are you after… there are more choices downtown but by the time you get there at say 12:15 AM what are you up for. Blue Ribbon is prob the best of the close by choices but seating/space is uncertain. Sushi Seki is a place where other chefs/waiters/Maitre’ds turn up at midnight for their own dinners after they close their kitchens. The Smith is the easiest (after PJ Clarkes but I’d walk the extra 50 feet). Maison Pickle is quite good and fun at 9:00PM… I’m never there at 12:00 but see no reason it wouldn’t be. And turning up in a tux with a loosened tie at any of these places will be fine.