Uses for duck fat other than potatoes?

I’ve got a jar of duck fat and last weekend made a pretty good batch of fries (double-fry, etc.). That’s really all I’ve ever used it for. What are your other preferred uses for this amazing fat? Thanks in advance.

I sometimes use it for popcorn – first crisping up some duck cracklings, then popping the corn, and finally mixing them all together and seasoning with green salt used in making confit.

making confit- duck, chicken.
Sauteing vegetables or meats

Oven roast veggies

Moisturizer.

To replace KY ! [wow.gif] [snort.gif]

The OP was asking about Duck Fat, not f*ck Dat champagne.gif

Brussel sprouts. Cut in half and par boil in some water with a little apple cider vinegar, take out and toss in a pan of hot duck fat to finish cooking and crisp up.

Really any winterish veg (carrots, parsnips etc) are amazing with duck fat.

Confit (and resulting rillettes).

Pastry crusts for meat pies

Biscuits

100 times this.

Loving the veggie suggestions, and especially the brussel sprouts. So, would I just melt the fat in a sauce pan and then toss the vegetables prior to putting in the oven? The stuff practically melts at room temperature, so that shouldn’t be too tough.

I like the popcorn idea, too. Yum.

You can confit some chicken thighs in it and make them taste much better than chicken on it’s own. I’ve had good success with confit sous vide as you don’t need much of the fat.

Duck fat makes a nice Aioli.

and remember, it’s similar in nutrition content to olive oil, so don’t be afraid to just dip your bread in it.

great idea. Will try. I make my own duck, never tried chicken.

This sweet and sour red cabbage recipe from Susan Feniger and Mary Sue Milliken, which I found in an old cookbook, has become a favorite. Not least because it is much more wine friendly than most red cabbage recipes:

1 large head red cabbage
2 large onions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup red wine vinegar
1 TB caraway seeds
1 bay leaf
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup rendered duck fat.

Julienne cabbage and combine all ingredients except the fat in a large bowl. Stir to blend

Heat fat in dutch oven or large heavy skillet over moderate heat. Add cabbage mixture and reduce to simmer. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about one hour. Serve hot or cold. Can be refrigerated for up to 5 days and reheated. IMO, it’s better on day 2, and best served warm.

Grilled sandwiches in place of butter.

That cabbage recipe sounds great! No doubt an adaptation of a German recipe for goose for Christmas.

Flour tortillas - use duck fat in place of lard.

Fried eggs, particularly duck eggs

Crispy Brussels sprouts: http://www.accessatlanta.com/entertainment/dining/from-the-menu-local-three-kitchen-and-bar/lwEzDMGfyAC8q7DnHfA4eK/

that sounds great!

Agree with roasted ANYTHING. Brussels work especially well (I often use bacon fat as well for these). Fried eggs is also a favorite. Searing off something you sous vided. Pretty much any occasion where you need a bit of oil and a bit of extra flavor is welcome.