Four meals in Philly, plus a cheesesteak

I spent most of last week in Philly on business and decided to survey some of the better-known restaurants. I ate three meals solo at the bar while working, and one with an old friend. Here’s a quick report, from best to worst:

1. Vernick. Very good meal. Interesting New American menu with a focus on simple, fresh, and flavorful combinations executed well. Crab toast was simple but satisfying. The uni scrambled eggs was perhaps the best dish I had on the trip–rich runny scrambled eggs, topped with a tart cream, topped with uni. Decadent and delicious. Then tuna with exceptional snap peas. Reasonably priced too.

2. Zahav. This is a place I’d love to have here in Houston. I showed up at 5 and had no trouble getting a spot at the bar. I ordered the tasting, and it was way too much food (I think because they gave me the same portions as a group gets for the shared items). I love this style of food and restaurant. Saliti and hummus were on point, and the lamb was killer. Very friendly service and fun atmosphere. Very similar food and experience to Shaya in NOLA, although I probably slightly preferred my meal at Shaya. Seems like a concept that could be replicated.

3. High Street on Market. The casual sibling restaurant to Fork, this is what I think of as a typical Philly place. Small, charming, friendly, with solid trattoria type food. Highlights were the pastas. Some dishes were kind of meh. But fun atmosphere and tasty food, if not memorable. Drank a tasty bottle of Channing Daughters Blaufränkisch (from Long Island).

4. Serpico. Disappointing–moreso the more I think about it. It’s really a restaurant of dichotomies. The space is really cool, and I love the large open kitchen and counter. But in contrast to Momo Ko or Atera and other places with this layout, the kitchen seemed a bit quiet and soulless. There was little engagement with the diners. And I found it odd that, on a Wednesday at 7:30, the restaurant was mostly empty. In terms of food, the menu looks great, but the execution is off. I started with the signature raw scallop dish, but the sauce was a bit gloppy (had a weird sour ranch Dorito flavor to it). The confit carrots as a second course were by far the best part of the meal, and were genuinely tasty, if a bit heavy. Then the short rib, which the waiter recommended, was probably the worst dish of the trip. Very gloppy and intense mustard sauce ruined what could have been decent meat. And the fried potatoes tasted just like tater tots. Weird meal. Obviousy there is talent, but it didn’t work. I’d like to try other menu items. Good bread and butter.

5. Pat’s King of Steaks. Because I’d never been. And I won’t go again. But I suppose it’s worth it to do once.

Meant to post this in the food forum. Please move if anyone sees it.

Sorry to hear about Serpico. Had a meal not long after it opened and thought it was really outstanding. Pretty good meal about a year ago too. Sounds like something went wrong. For value, their winelist is better than what you’ll find at 95%+ restaurants in PA.

Cheesesteaks can be an acquired taste. My City friends have a slight preference for Geno’s. You’ll find better at John’s Roast Pork or Tony Luke’s IMHO.

Never been to Zahav but reports are rarely negative. Vernick is pretty solid too.

RT

I love Zahav. Probably prefer it to Shaya, but quibbling.

I need to try Shaya. Going to Nur in NYC next week. Even better though, going to Israel at the end of August! I loved Zahav.

^ Wears red to a wedding. Says he ‘didn’t know’.

My general feeling on the cheesesteak thing is that you have to keep it in focus and consider it amusement park/ballpark food. So at Pat’s and Geno’s I do American cheese or Whiz with mushroom and onions only. Maybe peppers sometimes.
If you want a ‘real’ cheesesteak, you have to go to one of the better Italian sandwich shops. Sarah K. has given her recommendations somewhere, I think the best place she has had is in northeast Philly, and there is another one west of the city in one of the small suburbs.

I hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip!

Glad you had good eats in our little town! [cheers.gif]

I find Zahav consistently very good, but I don’t find myself craving it. I do appreciate their large selection of Musar and other Levantine wines. Vernick and High Street are also both excellent, with the edge going to the pastrami sandwich that High Street serves at lunch. Good lord - I happily hop in a car across town any time someone mentions lunch there. Also, everyone in Philly is cheering for chef Eli Kulp to succeed after his tragic accident (he was onboard the Amtrak train that derailed and left paralyzed).

I have proudly never eaten at Pat’s nor Geno’s. The proper place for a cheesesteak is D’Allesandro’s! [stirthepothal.gif]

Next time you’re back in town (solo or with guests), be sure to stop by the new Friday Saturday Sunday. My favorite restaurant in the whole city. We always sit at their beautiful marble bar - their bartenders Paul and Sasha are amazing (Paul was just named best Bartender & FSS best new restaurant by Philly Mag). Their half chicken is hauntingly good - the best I’ve had anywhere, period. And their labneh panna cotta will make you cry.

Should have eaten at Jim’s

Dalessandro’s makes a very respectable Cheesesteak, lots of history. The place Brent refers to in the NE is probably “Chink’s” which renamed to “Joe’s Steaks”. There’re always new contenders.

RT

Unfortunate name. Glad they rebranded.

I don’t think I have ever had a great Philly cheesesteak, living here in LA, so I have a question: what type of cheese traditionally goes on one?

From the Philly Inquirer in 2008:

"You’ve read it, heard it, tasted it, savored it, seen it in photo op action: Want a “classic” or “authentic” Philly cheesesteak? Gotta go with Cheez Whiz.

Whiz on a cheesesteak: Hit or myth?
Maybe it’s time to melt that myth.

True, Whiz is king at Pat’s and Geno’s, those legendary South Philly sites at Ninth and Passyunk.

But pundits, pleez note: Whiz wasn’t first historically, and it’s no runaway favorite regionwide.

At John’s Roast Pork, which serves up taste-test winners on Snyder Avenue, the processed cheese sauce isn’t even served. “I’m a cheese eater, sweetheart, and I love cheese, but Whiz is not cheese,” says owner Vonda Bucci, 75. “It’s a lot of grease and coloring.”

“We won’t do it. We will not carry Cheez Whiz,” said Jack Mullan, 50, co-owner of popular Leo’s Steak Shop in Folcroft. And customers never complain.

A recent Philly.com poll asked, “What cheese belongs on a cheesesteak?” and Whiz finished third. American edged out provolone - suggesting a runoff poll to settle the issue - after more than 5,700 votes were cast.

Even Geno’s owner Joey Vento, 68, downplays Whiz. “To be honest with you, I’ve never eaten Cheez Whiz, and I’m the owner,” he said. “… We always recommend the provolone. … That’s the real cheese.”

Personally…I go with American.

RT

John’s Roast Pork is the best, with the bonus that they also make a great roast pork sandwich, so if you go with someone, you can order one of each :wink:

Steve’s Prince of Steaks is another long/time cheesesteakery located in the Northeast.

Pat’s and Geno’s are designed for inebriated dining at 2:00 in the morning.

I think John’s Roast Pork is also highly overrated. Dinic’s serves a better sandwich in most respects – better seasoned meat, less cooked to death rabe, and better meat to bun ratio.