Dripkit Portable Pour Over Coffee

Cool story, cool idea. I’m in …

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dripkit/dripkit-coffee-portable-pour-over

*no affiliation

I’m not a huge coffee crank but I think the biggest improvement I’ve seen in my coffee was when I switched to grinding the coffee the morning of. I just can’t see how pre ground coffee will ever give me a cup I’m super excited to drink.

I’d love to taste it though. If it’s better than nespresso or the k cups then thats a good start.

Scott

Same…I’ll report back once I have a chance to taste Dripkit. I am a coffee nerd and drink fresh ground espresso drinks at home and on the road when able, but I often find myself at a Courtyard in BFE where my best option is the in room plonk or McDonalds. Hopefully these fill the void…

I don’t think this product is about “exciting” or “the best” coffee, just better than instant coffee on a small(er) scale.

I don’t know how many times I have gotten those little tubes of coffee you have to hydrate with some hot water. This looks much better.

Give me a Chemex and La Colombe any day.

You gonna take your Chemex on a multi day hike?

I don’t think that’s the point of this.

Agree that for me this would be to replace instant coffee, that terrible coffee in hotel rooms, kcups, nespresso (sort of), and maybe Starbucks when I’m out of town.

It would be nice to be able to bring 6 cups of coffee on my next trip to wherever and not have it take up a ton of space.

As a total aside – the La Columne coffee vault looks interesting but it’s sold out.

Siun – you like their whole beans? I’ve been super happy with Redbird but am always excited to try stuff that is less than 16-18 a pound. Free shipping and no tax makes those prices fairly reasonable compared to something like sightglass, four barrel,or stumptown. Definitely more reasonable than some of these super boutique places the real coffee cranks recommend :slight_smile:

Scott

Well, if you look at the offerings, they seem to be looking to market this as a daily drinker with subscriptions. So it better be good.
Their model isn’t going to be successful if the best they can do is sell this to campers

Nice gadget. If they can make a workaround for a gooseneck kettle, it might work.

I’d consider buying these if they were empty and I could just pre-fill. That way I could use them at work or, as others suggested, camping, without having to clean anything after. But overall anything that involves pre-ground coffee I’m not interested.

Scott - I really like La Columbe’s Corsica but I have to warn I am not a coffee pro. I am lucky to live a block away from one of the first six places to serve La Columbe (now they have their own stores, etc) and their coffee just perfectly matches my tastes - to me a rich, almost creamy sense with nice chocolate flavors in there. Just right for me. In my work, I used to get to go to the big Specialty Coffee conference each year - we were providing tools to measure sustainability programs - and I got to taste amazing coffee from all over … it’s was pretty wonderful. But I remain at the level of “know what I like” i fear. La Columbe has had some really great sourcing and respect for producers.

I’m really just continually confused by the prepackaged, preground etc options which just seem like a new way to produce more packaging rather than good coffee?