Juicing

More or less food related, although not mainstream by any means.

Does anyone use a juicer on a daily basis?

I am considering adding one. I simply cannot seem to make myself eat enough fresh veggies and fruit and think this may be a way to add that to my everyday diet.

Thinking of trying to add one smoothie and two glasses of juice to both my wife and my diet. I already have a nice blender but need a juicer.

Anyone have any advice?

Juicing is a ton of work and requires a lot of produce. I have a Norwalk juicer collecting dust but a vitamix that is used every day for smoothies. I think juicing is one of those products that is worth buying from a local merchant - assuming there are some near you - rather than going thru the time and expense to do it yourself. Just my $0.02.

My wife is a health professional and constantly says these things about juicing:

1. People all make the mistake of throwing away the pulp, and that’s a vital part of it’s benefit! The fiber!

2. Juicing greens is good but people all over-use fruit in their juices, which is WAY too much sugar and actually bad for them.

3. Juice is a buzz word right now, so beware companies who want to profit off that while they don’t know their health facts at all. Misleading health info is worse than none at all.

We own a vitamix. LOVE IT. Use it all the time. It could grind a shoe so long as you add a bit off water. Thomas sounds like he is doing it right because a vitamix means you are keeping all the whole nutrients and fiber of whatever you’re putting in there. DON’T get a juicer that strains out the pulp.

For what it’s worth. Thought I’d pass it along.

I just went up to a local juice place just to see the cost (and I tried a few). 8-11 for 16oz

That sounds like a silly Amount…but I may be misinformed.

I think I am going to try a 10 reboot off the website from fat sick and nearly dead. He seems to address the sugar issue and adds some whole food over the 10 days.

I saw those norwalks and watched a few videos. It looks like you could break even on it if you made juicing a way of life, but I know that’s not probable for most people. Will give it ten days and see what is what.

juicing is only for people that need to detox.

Everyone needs to detox.

And also, it depends on what you mean by juicing. Going on an extreme cleanse, yeah I agree, not everyone needs that. Including healthy greens and detoxifiers in a moderate regular way in your lifestyle? That’s a good idea. Particularly for those who like to drink lots. :slight_smile:

It would be nice to have an easy way to remove 1/2 the pulp/fiber IMO. I love carrot juice for example- and it is sweet enough to preclude the use of fruit juice and the added sugar, but there is just too much solid to use whole carrots as a major base.

What is a health professional? Education, etc.

Went to the store and bought enough to do a 5 day run at the reboot on the website. Filled a cart.

Took me a while to do 2 days of juice and make the other dishes they had for lunch and breakfast.

Guessing this is going to take roughly,an hour each night to prepare for the next day and a trip to,the grocery store about every three days.

I will go 10 days and see how I feel.

Preach. It’s all about the fiber man. And yes, fruit juice has a ton of sugar in it, you eat the juice alone you basically take the worst part of the fruit by its self.

Oh and on “cleanses”? Yea that’s BS too. Starving your body does you no favors, sure you’ll drop a few pounds but in then end it messes with your insulin production and your body basically thinks you are starving to death and switches gears. A million real scientific studies on the false premise of detox cleanses. Better solution? Work out minimum 3 days a week and eat healthy. You’ll feel amazing after a week.

You interviewing?

Exactly.

Btw, love Manhattan Beach. You go to MB Post and Fishing w Dynamite a lot?

Also, Two Guns Espresso ain’t bad… for the South Bay. lol.

Cycle plenty and drink all the juice you want. Great fuel.

That said I do ten smoothies for every juice (2-3 bananas, two fistfuls of berries, cashew nuts and coconut water. Spinach or something if we have it.

You know it. FWD remains one of my top 3 LA spots. 2 guns just opened new location on Main st. in the Gundo too, glad to see they are doing well. Great coffee and better people.

A carrot and half an apple or a kiwi should provide enough sweetness to a juice based on kale, cucumber, celery, or other greens.

Realistically, we could do 2-3 days per week at most. Not only because of the time to prep and clean up, but also it would be hard to drink every day.

One thing that I do like, is it allows us to use up trimmings from when we buy pineapple and watermelon, which we might otherwise throw away. The pulp is good for soups and braises, but I usually use it for compost.

Looking forward to HiFi Espresso opening in Hermosa soon. Have you tried The Boy and the Bear in Redondo?

Also, Vital coffee now open on your pier. Right at the end.

Sorry, no info on local juice spots.

Another vote for Vitamix.

A few handfuls of greens, a few strawberries, a handful of blueberries, 1 t flax seeds, 1 t maca powder, 1 t peanut butter powder, 2 T acacia fiber, 30 cal almond milk = great start to the day for me & the Mrs.

Don’t know HiFi, will check out for sure. Don’t make it down to Redondo proper that much, weekend traffic in summer is getting nuts.

Heard good things about Vital, need to visit.

We’re also FINALLY getting a Sugarfish in the SB…Century Club lost it’s lease and they’re smartly putting one in their space right off Highland. For the $ Sugarfish takeout is hard to bet IMHO, place is going to crush.

[winner.gif]

+2

Smoothies are better than juicing, but smoothies are no substitute for eating whole foods. When you puree fiber, you destroy a lot of its useful properties. If you need more fruits and vegetables in your diet, eat more fruits and vegetables. There’s really no substitute. But you already knew I’d say that.