Flannery Pork Cap

I’m cooking a Flannery Pork Cap tonight to serve with a Mushroom and Parmesan Risotto. Has anyone cooked one of these yet? What seasoning did you use beyond S&P if any?

I used some porcini powder

Sounds interesting. We just finished eating though so I’ll try that on the next one.

W/S&P over Mushroom Risotto

That looks like a nice medium well. What’d you think of this cut overall?

Bryan Flannery says this is more flavorful than the Beef Rib Cap. I respectfully disagree. It was OK but I wouldn’t buy it again.

Thanks for the feedback. I’ve got two and I’ll probably season one with porcini salt to help it out.

I sauced with a cream reduction finished with herbs de provence and capers. Was fabulous.

Like Mike above, i too did a cream sauce.

Very low heat in a pan, rolling the cap frequently allowing it to come up to temp and develop a crust on the outside. Deglaze with cognac. Add grainy mustard and add to that cream you’ve been steeping HDProvence in and build your sauce from there.

Slice into medallions and eat.

I, like Bryan, do find these better than the beef version. These are pork-sicles of goodness.

Same for me.

I flip them around on a medium hot BGE until interior is about 125 and the outside is golden brown.

I love these. I can’t really say if I like them better than the beef version, but that’s mainly because they are so different, it’s hard to compare. It’s like comparing a young Cali Cab with an older BDX. Different, but both excellent for me.

This thread motivated me to pull one out for dinner tonight!

All these examples of using sauces makes my point for me. A flavorful cut of meat shouldn’t require a sauce. S&P on the beef caps and they are outstanding. I did this one with S&P and the flavor of the meat just wasn’t there. It needed a sauce. Glad you guys like them.

Really?

Yeah really. You want credit for it? Fine. Given. Wimp.

i’ll agree with you, the pork cab is aight. Not worth the $$. You can get a pork cap for pretty cheap at your local butcher.

The pork product that IS worth the money from Flannery is the Bone-in Porterhouse Pork Chop for $8/14oz. The same cut at the butchers around town (porkerhouse) is about $10-12/lb.