Filet mignon - to grill or not to grill?

Hi, All. There are some definite foodies here, so I’m looking for advice. We rarely eat beef tenderloin / filet mignon in our house, almost always going for NY strips, ribeyes, flat iron, or flank steak. However, my wife and I both have a hankering for a buttery-tender filet. If possible, I almost always grill steaks. However, the last two times I did filet, we did them in a pan for the sear, then into the oven. We often do a pan sauce with cognac, shallot, mustard and a little beef broth.

So, do you grill filet, or should I stick with the pan and oven? Any tips? If we wanted to do a sauce, we wouldn’t have the fond if we grilled, but I’m not sure that will be a problem. Hmmm…what to do?

I believe the consensus from prior threads on steaks is that for best results you should always sous vide then sear.

Regarding sauce, I’ll quote my grandfather: “Does your steak need sauce?”

theres less advantage to SV with a filet since it’s so soft to begin with, no connective tissue to break down. Just grill it and build your sauce separately. Brown the stock with a bit of butter in the pan first to develop your fond, then proceed.

I don’t think the reason to SV filet is tenderness – it’s uniformity of doneness for what is usually a very thick cut.

I can’t sous vide - I’ll just have to sear, then move to the indirect part of the grill.

Matt: I only ever sauce a filet. Never on fattier steaks. I’ve (we all have) heard the “no sauce” thing a ton, and agree with most steaks.

So, yes to grilling a filet it appears?

I typically grill a filet if I’m planning on eating it without a sauce, and pan sear it and finish it in the oven if I’m planning a sauce. I’m not really into the whole SV thing with steaks. Tried it. Meh. Prime rib and other tougher cuts of meat, yes.

Reverse sear. Cook low at 200-225 until internal temp hits 110. Pull off and let rest 10-15 minutes while grill gets hot. Sear to desired level.

Second this. It’s the better alternative to sous vide for the perfect doneness throughout the entire steak.

Sorry - my post was a bit of a joke. The last thing we ever have around here is consensus. I actually don’t think I’ve ever done a filet at home, or maybe once, and I’m sure if did I grilled it.

Thanks, Matt - didn’t get that. Yeah…consensus on WB? No.

I like the reverse-sear method…I’ll give it a try.

sV also gives you more flexibility time wise.

Do you have 2 grills? Smoke at 250-275 for a bit and throw on a blazing hot grill to sear. I did this the other day with 2 BGE’s and filets.

amended below

Used to have a recipe for Sichuan steak au Poivre by Karen lee ( fabulous sauce ) cooking instructions were for a whole tenderloin( filet ) - sear 2- 3 mins on each side (4) in a very hot wok and then put in an oven at 350 for 10 mins. For smaller filet I’d sear in cast iron and then pop in the oven while finishing the sauce.

It’s never occurred to me to do this but would be super easy with an offset firebox. Put it in the smoker while the firebox is really heating up and then place it right over the coals inside the firebox to create a nice crust. This would work well for doing a beefsteak dinner because you could have lots of steak warming in the smoker waiting to be seared.

Looks like I disagree with everybody else. I typically grill my steaks (reverse sear method discussed above). But I prefer cooking my filet mignon in a pan for the very reason you suggest: I think filets are best with a sauce, and I like pan sauces. My favorite is a mushroom cream sauce fortified with demi-glace and wine.

Precisely Jay. I love morels and porcini.

I ended up doing the reverse-sear and grill method and making the sauce separately. It was good, but not great. Next time, I really do think I’ll pan sear (cast iron), and make the sauce while the steaks rest. Thanks again, All.

The whole point of filet is that it is tender, regardless of what you do with it. However I find that filet is the one cut of beef that almost needs a sauce for flavor. If you can get the grill hot enough to get a good crust/sear on it, it might work, but honestly I would rather have NY or Ribeye on the grill any/all times.

I grill the steaks, and they work out fine. But I think you are better off preparing the steaks as you currently are doing. The cast iron pan is the best at developing the sear, and controlling it.

Your sauce sounds great, bit for me all it needs is a glob of butter.