Alternatives to caffeine (coffee)?

Doc says to lay off caffeine and de-caf coffee does have some, so I’m checking out carob powder and something called Teeccino. I’m hoping to find something that will work in a Keurig type unit for convenience (would buy one). The Teeccino product apparently requires brewing so it would likely require a second drip coffeemaker to avoid interfering with my wife’s mornings. The carob just needs boiling water or milk. Trying to keep this simple if I can. Thoughts??

Maybe try dandy blend?

new doctor?

Decaf has had, typically, about 97% of the caffeine removed.

An average cup of regular coffee contains about 70–140 mg of caffeine and an average decaf cup is about 3mg.

Enjoy decaf and no worries.

Hershey’s Milk Chocolate Bar, 1.6 oz = 9mg.

8 oz. of Silk Chocolate Soy milk has 4mg.

I only stayed at a Hampton Inn, so the advice is worth little. But I would tell the doc that I liked coffee and ask about decaf. As Anton said a cup of decaf has VERY little caffeine.

This.

Does it have to be absolutely zero caffeine? There are some amazing teas that our caffeine “free”

George

most of the caffeine in tea comes out in the first 30 seconds of steeping. Throw that away and resteep in fresh water and most of the caffeine is gone.

Why not do the same with a French press?

I don’t know why I didn’t ask about de-caf but I will. In the meantime, the carob powder makes a nice ‘chocolate-y’ drink I think I could get used to.

www.caffeineinformer.com/the-caffeine-database

I only drink decaf, partly because of my doc’s advice, mostly because it just wires me too much and I don’t need/like that. Decaf doesn’t have much/any effect on me, so if it is indeed caffeine (for whatever reason), you should be OK with decaf, as Anton says above. My GI doc says that caffeine isn’t the only issue, and that coffee itself can be an irritant. But I just ignore her :wink:

Ephedrine? A good nasal decongestant could give you that morning boost to get you bright eyed and bushy tailed. Or you could just go full Red-eye with an extra espresso with some cocaine.

On a more serious note, try Rooibos tea. Zero caffeine and a deep, nutty taste.

Somehow I knew if I just kept reading it might be worth it.

Ginger tea is an option. Here’s one recipe:

Thanks for all the suggestions. My stomach doesn’t seem to like almond milk mixed with carob powder, though it tastes pretty good, especially compared to mixing with water. I’m going to see if soy milk is any better before moving on to the ideas above.

Nespresso decaf only has 1/2 gram per pod.I like the Arpeggio decaf.