2017 tomato garden thread

Might have missed a previous thread but I just checked my raised bed and found a tomato.
IMG_5492.JPG
I’m sure I’ve over planted my 3.5 x 10.5 raised bed, 17 tomato plants with IIRC only two plants of the same variety. Lots of cherry tomatoes as it seems we eat tons of them year round.

May 9th and then again on June 5th
CE17D335-5B46-4E89-AC3F-1FD488934E1F.jpg
The potted peppers have been moved!

Not quite as far along a you. Some of mine have only been in soil for a week. Planted one yesterday! Oldest are about 30 days in.

Sungold x2
Japanese Truffle
Berkeley Tie Die
Yellow
Cherokee Purple
Hillbilly
Emerald Green
Black Krim

Have lots of flowers but no fruit.

Brian you always kill it, looking forward to seeing those japanese truffles!

I was able to go in ground this year. I started seeds inside in March and left for work while Suzy killed all my seedlings thereafter. So I started over in April so I’m a bit behind.

The garden is about 1,200 sqft and I tilled it with 300 lbs of peat, 300 lbs of garden soil, and 10 TONS of imported black dirt. There are literally nightcrawlers in every shovel of soil you take from the ground.

I have 15 black krim and 6 german green. Went a bit nuts on hot peppers. I have 10 habanero plants, 2 of which I propagated from peppers I brought back from Martinique this winter. 3 serrano, and 4 jalapeno plants too. I did some habaneros in pots with various mixtures to experiment, and some in ground also to experiement. I plan to winter the Martinique habanero bushes inside.

If you like peppers try to get some chile pequins. They grow wild in Texas and are sometimes also called chile petins. Very small peppers but they have unbelievable flavor.

IMG_7504.JPG
cherry varieties have been coming in for weeks, first larger varieties just started to ripen enough to harvest this week.

David I have a romance with hot peppers and yes I use pequins often. They have quite the punch dry. I will try fresh next season.

Kenny, I envy your ability to go in ground. Our gopher population is so bad that I had to move the garden every year and some years that didn’t work either. The past 5 years have been in raised beds and containers.

Patrick, that’s not fair. You have ripe fruit and all I’ve got are flowers. This week is goung to be the one that jump starts the garden. Temps in the 90s and 100s for the next 8 days.

Admittedly I took a little risk by planting the first week of April, but it paid off this year. The trade off for having tons of tomatoes coming in the door now is that my plants will quit in about 3-4 more weeks right when you guys are hitting prime. Hot pepper varieties are typically the only thing that survives the full Texas summer so I planted plenty of Jalapeno (3 varieties), Poblano, Hot Banana, Pimento, Shishito, and Serano. Those also help keep the squirrels off the tomatoes too. :angry:

First harvest from my balcony container garden. Growing sungold and blush tomatos, most of them are just starting to turn orange.

[resizeableimage=600,800]http://i.imgur.com/TuvVc1T.jpg[/resizeableimage]

Sungolds are delicious, props to Japan on that one. Now it depends wholly on your growing conditions, but something I found is that picking the sungold prior to it being fully orange provides a better balance of acid/sweet. Apparently it was bred to attain largely sweet at ripeness. YMMV.

Anyone have an idea of why my plants are turning yellow. Live in the Dallas area and have them in a location where they get plenty of sun, so I water every day

Can be a host of things but start w a copper fungicide spray asap could be early blight. Rotate a calcium spray a couple days after.

Growth spurt!

Edit: FU Photobucket!

Potato type leaf on that truffle (trifele?) plant. That’s going to be neat to watch. From my brief reading it sounds like it is a “black” variety, meaning red and green carotenoids. Not sure the japanese tag, my understanding is all the black tomato varieties originated in the Black Sea area near Ukraine and Crimea. Except for the shape they look like a black krim.

Tons of great stuff going on there! I will update mine when I get home later this week.

Trifele is Latvian for Truffle!

Well that makes sense then!

I gotta say, I am seriously regretting not getting some pink brandywines going. I never got an order going with the catalogs and it just kinda fell by the way side. But man, if there is a tomato to compliment the krim, brandywine is it. They are potato leaf as well.

A little off subject but I picked the last of my garlic crop for the year. Time to replant.
IMG_7284.JPG
IMG_7285.JPG

Before I get into tomatoes what’s going on with my beans. My Romano beans are turning yellow. Not the leaves, just the beans. Any ideas?

About 3/4 of today’s pick. German green, black krim, ruby reds that shouldn’t be there, and some orange I believe are mutants of the german green. Have a looooong ways to go.
maters.jpg