Dragon Boat Festival is today, an excuse to eat Zhong Zi

Trying to eat a little healthier but it is Dragon Boat festival today and carb is life.

Peanut one: Taiwanese style Zhong zi with pork shank, shittake mushroom and peanuts with a soy sauce based rice. Rice is very flavorful. Purchased from a lady who makes them out of her home in Rowland Heights area

White rice: Cantonese style Zhong zi made by Kathy Yu’s mom. Stuffed with chinese sausage, fatty pork, egg yolk and mushrooms. Lightly flavored rice, let’s the ingredients shine.

Yellow one: “alkaline water” zhong zi. The lye water treatment gives it that yellow golden hue. Stuffed with sweet bean paste. Extra sticky and a two bite morsel of deliciousness.
[resizeableimage=525,400]https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18766009_10104978369913614_121973790466737195_n.jpg?oh=939b95cf849223f737c83fd676e89917&oe=59B98148[/resizeableimage]

I grew up eating the Cantonese style so peanuts in zhong zi will always be weird to me.

Since I grew up eating taiwanese style, the candied egg yolk was always weird to me ha ha. My m-i-l usually omits the egg yolk for mine but this time she was making a huge batch for the place she volunteers.

The salted egg yolk is the best part! I promise you can have the peanuts in mine if I can have the yolk from yours.

Why haven’t I heard of these? They look and sound great. At risk of sounding racist, I confess that my first thought was that Zhong Zi was a board member

In this particular instance, I feel as though the cannibalism takes precedence.

Nice surprise after dinner
IMG_9719.JPG

Co-ink-i-dink-ly, my wife and I stopped by a HK Cantonese resto for breakfast this morning after dropping off a vehicle for service. Ended up ordering a couple of breakfast sets, one of which came with a zhong zi. We were too stuffed from the jook and won ton mein that were in the sets, so we’ll pan fry the zz for breakfast tomorrow morning.

I love the salted egg!! Usually eat Cantonese and prefer it to the peanut Taiwan version.

Love any sweet versions tho.

At Ho Won in Chinatown NYC, a big one with mung beans, salt pork, and salt-candied egg yolk is just $2.25.
Perfect, cheap lunch.

Wow, great thread, Charlie! I also grew up eating the Cantonese style zongzi. My wife just made a batch of Shanghai style zongzi that she learned from her grandmother. Only one ingredient, pork belly. The fat from the pork belly melts into the rice as the zongzi are boiled, lending quite a distinctive flavor. Occasionally she changes the recipe to include preserved duck egg yolk and pork shoulder rather than pork belly. The Shanghainese also eat a sweet version with red bean paste. Whichever style of zongzi, they’re all delicious!

My dad dropped some off last night. He made them with pork belly, lotus seeds, salted egg yolk, and mung beans. It made a mighty fine lunch!

They are typically pretty seasonal as it’s labor intensive and it’s for the holiday. Some chinese supermarkets will have it year round in their bakery areas. Check Philly’s chinatown and i’m sure you can find some.

San Gabriel Valley in LA has a lot of “food sale” facebook groups and there are some “vendors” that primarily make these year round.

Cool tutorials.

DmO5Ezy43ao

lnqnSTv7hRc